ABL Space Systems (ABL) was founded in 2017, by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley, to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. ABL is headquartered in El Segundo, California, where it has more than 30,000 square feet of facilities for research, development, and production. ABL is a privately-owned corporation backed by a premier group of investors.
We build rockets to launch small satellites
We are a tight team with big goals. That means we need all hands on deck. At ABL, every person takes ownership of their work and understands how it impacts our mission. Accessing space doesn’t need to be expensive, complicated, or difficult, and we’re building the systems, CONOPS, and organization to prove it. Our team has come together to pursue mastery of our domains and build something bigger than ourselves. We are proud to serve the people pushing the frontiers of space technology. Our goals are ambitious. The work is challenging. We take deep personal responsibility for everything we make. Driven by great people and greater talent, ABL is reimagining the next generation of space launches.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Additive Manufacturing Engineer
As an Additive Manufacturing Engineer, you will take ownership and responsibility for growing, maintaining, and optimizing operations at ABL’s Additive Manufacturing Center. You will be driving new parameter development, designing for additive, and driving parts through additive post processes. You will own the overall metal production process for printed launch vehicle hardware from build file input to finished part. This includes supporting both development and production builds, effectively coordinating and communicating between customers, engineers, and technicians, as well as implementing incremental improvements and new technologies to maximize product quality and time of delivery. We are looking for an Additive Manufacturing Engineer who enjoys solving new and different problems, can work effectively in a fast-paced environment, and share our passion for building additively manufactured rocket engines.
- Perform a role of hands-on engineering between the design teams and production organization, enabling production ramp of medium/high volume printed launch vehicle hardware
- Responsible for metal additive manufacturing processes, supporting all manufacturing aspects from build file and consumables to the finished printed product through post-processing
- Manage scheduling and planning systems to ensure the technician team has clear priorities
- Partner with technicians to resolve issues, establish effective engineering controls, and reduce labor needs as much as possible
- Establish and document a nominal build process that meets ABL’s quality standards. Engage with key stakeholders to ensure issues are addressed, contained, and resolved. Efficiently resolve non-conformances as they arise and aggressively track down root cause following through with corrective actions to eliminate re-occurrence.
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including operational instructions, process flow diagrams, standard repair plans, schematic diagrams, and mechanical drawings
- Responsible for meeting production rate and quality goals. Communicate roadblocks to engineers and technician teams early enough to react, contain, and recover
- Track and drive reductions in planned and unplanned downtime across additive machines
- Develop and implement tooling and engineering controls into production processes to further improve reliability and reduce cost and lead time
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineer, materials science, or other engineering disciplines
- 1-2+ years in a production/manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of metal additive manufacturing experience
- Hands-on experience operating laser powder bed fusion platforms
- Experience working with additive post processes and heat treatments
- Materials science knowledge or grain structure, grain size, porosity, etc. and how these properties affect a printed component
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment
- Ability to perform manufacturing cost trade analysis optimizing machine capital, labor, and process consumables
- Proficient in basic principles of compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, thermochemistry, mechanics, materials, and electrical circuits
- Excellent communication skills and ability to succinctly present recommendations
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Tooling design experience including fixtures, shop aides, and/or metallic powder handling devices
- Lean manufacturing, or equivalent production optimization experience
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events, and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone, and by telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
ABL Space Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with ABL Space Systems is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.