We build rockets to launch small satellites.
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a thermal engineer, you will be responsible for the thermal analysis, design, and validation of various systems and components for the RS1 vehicle and beyond. You will be determining thermal environments for avionics components to recommend cooling solutions, recommending aft end insulation, determining payload thermal environments, and generally determining areas for thermal concerns on RS1 before the first flight. After the first flight, you will be using flight data to anchor models and iterate on the design.
You will be working closely with all engineering and business development teams with short turn analysis times, so a willingness to efficiently solve cross-disciplinary problems is a must. This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Be general POC for thermal analysis for RS1 and beyond
- Deliver predicted temperatures for components for qualification testing
- Recommend thermal solutions for problems when they arise
- Design, instrument, and perform thermal tests
- Analyze test and flight data to improve the fidelity of thermal models
- B.S. from an accredited university in physics or engineering
- Competency using Matlab and/or Python
- Experience with thermal desktop or similar
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years experience in thermal analysis for launch vehicles
- Ability to determine sufficient fidelity needed for analysis to quickly obtain results
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events, and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone, and by telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.