Advanced Navigation is the global leader in navigation systems for air, land and sea. Our products are developed and manufactured in Australia and our main HQ is located in Sydney with offices around the world. With over 68 of the top 100 largest companies as customers, and a broad range of technologies, we are truly changing the way we navigate globally.
- Ownership over full project lifecycle for mechanical designs from concept to manufacturing transition, especially machined components
- Designing, drafting, manufacturing & testing prototype parts and assemblies
- Documenting designs to a high professional standard for manufacturing and prototyping
- Provide creative input into product industrial design (usability, aesthetics & functionality)
- Provide accurate estimations of time, risk and duration to project leaders, then remain within those constraints
- Propose, plan and implement process improvements to increase quality, reduce cost, improve safety and improve efficiency, working directly with manufacturing engineers
- Prepare product assembly and calibration process technical documentation to a high professional standard
- Specify and procure manufacturing plant and equipment
- Design, fabrication and validation of manufacturing tools, jigs, fixtures, test and measurement equipment
- Plan, organise and execute verification plans for products and components
- Plan, negotiate and conduct product formal qualification and certifications
- Participating in technical reviews of requirements, specifications, designs & procedures
- Perform detailed mechanical design calculations, including modelling, simulation & verification testing.
Skills & Experience:
- Degree qualified in mechanical or mechatronics engineering
- Trade qualifications well regarded
- 5-10 years in a mechanical design engineering roles
- Australian Citizenship is essential
- Strong experience working with machined components
- Strong Solidworks skills (primary working tool)
- Practical, hands-on mentality.
- Comfortable building and assembling prototypes.
- Strong design simulation and calculation skills (Matlab knowledge a plus)
- High-level design thinking – able to own the process from beginning to end, including requirements through to design iteration, through to manufacturing and compliance testing.
- Comfortable in a very tightly coupled cross-disciplinary environment.
- A good communicator and a planner, able to plan their own work to a large extent.
- Some industrial design skills would be desirable, but are not essential