Blue Origin is empowered by a vision where millions of people are living and working in space. To achieve our vision, we are developing reusable rocket engines and launch vehicles that will dramatically lower the cost of access to space. Driven by our motto, Gradatim Ferociter or “step by step, ferociously,” our incremental approach builds upon each success as we develop ground-breaking spaceflight systems. We don’t just build rockets—we build a culture around methodical innovation and exploration.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will perform hands-on manufacturing, fabrication, assembly, disassembly, testing and maintenance of cutting edge rocket engines and various spaceflight systems at our new, state of the art manufacturing facility in Huntsville, Alabama. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of transforming the way rockets are made and operated. If you share our passions and vision, thrive in a dynamic startup environment, excel on integrated cross-functional teams, are experienced and skilled in several relevant technologies (even if perhaps not in the aerospace industry), continuously seek out opportunities to learn and improve, enjoy occasional travel, and do not allow title or job description to limit the depth or breadth of your contributions, then we would love to hear from you. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Assemble rocket engines and rocket engine turbomachinery, machine and weld, test mechanical and fluids according to written procedures and engineering models, drawings, specifications and written procedures
- Coordinating hardware processing such as inspection, cleaning, and shipping
- Maintain inventory of tooling and equipment
- Safely working with hazardous systems, containing chemicals and/or high pressure
- Setup new production work areas, including layouts, tooling and equipment setup, etc.
- Perform second party verification’s and hardware inspections to engineering models, drawings, specifications, and written procedures
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and correct malfunctions by modification, rework, repair, and/or maintenance. Perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions for recurrence control
- Operate various materials handling equipment including forklifts, overhead cranes, aerial lifts, flight vehicle and sub-assembly transportation equipment, truck-trailer combinations and other ground support equipment as required
- Setup and operate a wide range of precision calibrated tools including but limited to, torque wrenches, micrometers, calipers, laser tracker, height gauges and optical measuring instruments
- Support vehicle checkouts such as fluid lines leak checks and full vehicle power-on system checks
- Identify and implement continuous improvement projects for area safety and efficiency
- Perform routine maintenance functions such as daily clean-up of work areas to support 5S, FOD, and ESD
- Other duties as assigned or otherwise beneficial to fulfilling the mission and vision.
- High School diploma or GED
- All experience in manufacturing, integration, or other relevant field will be considered
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with rapidly changing roles and responsibilities
- Ability to interpret engineering models, drawings, specifications, written work instructions, and test procedures
- Basic computer skills such as Windows, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to climb ladders/stairs and work in small restricted areas
- Perform repetitive work including lifting of heavy items, >50lbs
- Work off-shift, extended hours overtime, and weekends if/when necessary
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder)
- Industry certification, trade school training and/or degree in related field
- Military experience
- Experienced in handling large aerospace components
- Experienced in a team-based Lean Manufacturing environment
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.