Atlantic International Research Centre
The AIR Centre has a vacancy for a Project Developer for the Earth Observation Laboratory (EO Lab). You will be joining a dynamic and multidisciplinary team and work in the diverse and emerging fields of Earth Observation (EO), such as detection of marine litter, monitoring of air and water quality and new applications in sectors such as aquaculture. As a Project Developer, you will work with a blend of technical, scientific, industrial and outreach activities while developing innovation solutions and supporting and identifying new opportunities. You will also have the opportunity to work in a high-throughput edge-computing node for EO data processing, as well as with a satellite direct receiving station.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop projects related with EO including technical, outreach, training, and results dissemination
- Analyze and understand different types of remote sensing data (satellite, high altitude, aerial, etc..) needed for different types of projects
- Design and build algorithms using real world data and automate remote sensing and geospatial workflows
- Deploy and maintain early service prototypes of developed algorithms
- Interface with stakeholders and relevant end users to derive system requirements
- Support in the preparation of events and training material
- Operate a Satellite Direct Receiving Station (DRS), performing management, monitoring data reception, collection and archiving
- Provide technical support the preparation of proposals on R&D&I (e.g. Horizon2020, ESA and other international funding programs) and identifying new opportunities and partners.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Relevant Msc degree with at least 3 years of experience in fields of Remote Sensing and Earth
- Observation Systems, Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Relevant background in remote sensing and processing geospatial such as Sentinel and MODIS
- Able to work in dynamic teams, with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Familiarity with European Framework projects and national funding programs would be desirable
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- The EO Lab is a dedicated unit of the AIR Centre, located in the TERINOV Technological Park (Terceira island, Azores) and is established as ESA_LAB@Azores, a laboratory to set-up an institutional link between academia, high-tech enterprises, research institutions and European Space Agency to explore innovative applications of space technologies of observation in the Atlantic area.
- The EO Lab contributes to maximizing the integration of a distributed space ecosystem, extending the use of space technologies and applications to support societal challenges, public demands and policies in the Atlantic space and contributing to a better knowledge of understudied areas. It is also a laboratory to test procedures and methods to connect peripheral regions into globally competitive technological sectors by supporting research, innovation and entrepreneurship. The aim is to set-up a collaborative framework to identify, consolidate, sustain, stimulate, promote and build capacity for existing, new and future EO based services of use for Atlantic Ocean countries.