Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
AIRBUS Defence and Space Limited
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other’s expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary – on the ground, in the sky and in space.
About Secure Communications
As one of the world’s leading providers of managed secure communications, we are responsible for our customers’ time- and mission-critical communications. In short, everything we do up there in space is to enable them to accomplish their goals down here on Earth.
We are world leaders in providing global fixed and mobile secure communication services to governments, militaries and security forces. Indeed, as the world’s number one private-sector military secure communications provider, we deliver the flexibility, resiliency and security required by demanding governments and militaries. We do this for all communications applications, whether they’re land, airborne or naval.
As a truly global organisation, we at Airbus understand local markets, allowing us to support our customers wherever they are. With regional strategic sales and support services in Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, our presence on the ground where our customers need us most is bolstered by our global reach.
Due to an internal move Airbus Defence and Space (ADS) is looking for a Satellite Operation Engineer to join a dynamic and energetic team. You will be responsible for ensuring that the Company’s in-orbit spacecraft platform activities are conducted safely to maximise the useful life of the spacecraft.
The secondary role is to support any other Company project as required and to represent the Company as part of the customer monitoring team throughout the assembly integration and test phase of any new spacecraft.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
As the Satellite Operations Engineer you will be responsible for:
- The assessment and analysis of SKYNET 5 spacecraft trends and the effect of all SKYNET 5 spacecraft anomalies.
- Provision of advice to SMA as SKYNET 5 spacecraft specialist.
- The SKYNET 5 Operating Procedures and associated documentation.
- Monitoring day-to-day Spacecraft Platform subsystems.
- Liaising with Flight Dynamics (FD) and Satellite Design Authority (SDA) to ensure the safe and efficient scheduling of SKYNET 5 spacecraft operations.
- Understand and monitor all the spacecraft subsystems (platform and payload) through monthly and yearly analysis.
- Provide advice as a technical expert to Spacecraft Management Authority.
- Provide & review spacecraft in-orbit platform trend analysis data.
- Provide technical support to spacecraft on-station operations.
- Write, Validate and Technically Review SKYNET 5 Operating Procedures and associated documentation.
- Support, schedule, analyse and report on the results for spacecraft through life testing.
The role might also require you to:
- Maintain the SKYNET 5 simulator in a condition capable of reflecting actual spacecraft configurations.
- Follow, assess and question any development by the SDA to ensure its compliance to the overall system.
- Define and develop some new monitoring, anomaly detection tools on time-series data.
- Carry out high risk limited periodicity operations, including any required training and planning as required by the SMA.
- Monitor the day-to-day system AIT integration activities and ensure confidence in predicted in-orbit performance, supporting the Company’s representative during environmental test.
- Assess risk elements of all aspects of spacecraft design, build and test.
- Provide support for Pre-launch, LEOP and IOT including (Ground testing, Ground Compatibility Testing, payload testing.
- Support the Payload In Orbit Test phase for future spacecraft launches.
- Provide payload and RF Systems expertise support to other business areas within the company and parent companies on various bids and projects.
- All staff are to comply with applicable Health and Safety, Fire, Human Resources and Security policies.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR JOB
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
- BSc Systems Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Spacecraft operation experience.
- Multidiscipline in all aspects of satellite design and AIT phase.
- Ability to get on with all people and work with all disciplines and features in all spheres of the project.
- Have a flair for trouble spotting and be able to take and hold sound decisions – even in the face of adverse reactions.
- Good written and verbal communications skills and ability to report succinctly on all aspects.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking. We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.