Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
AIRBUS Defence and Space Limited
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other’s expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary – on the ground, in the sky and in space.
About the Skynet 6A Project
Airbus Defence and Space provides a range of space-based services to customers worldwide including supporting the UK Armed Forces, and its NATO Allies. Airbus has owned and operated the Skynet military communications system, providing 24/7 services across the world for more than 15 years on behalf of the UK MOD.
In July 2020, Airbus Defence and Space signed a contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to extend and enhance the Skynet fleet. The project involves the development, manufacture, cyber protection, assembly, integration, test and launch, of a military communications satellite, Skynet 6A, planned for launch in 2025.
This contract for 6A demonstrates the strong working partnership we have with UK MOD, built on the success we have jointly achieved on the Skynet 5 system since 2003 and continues our long tradition as the UK national milsatcom end-to-end services provider. We are now actively recruiting to grow the Skynet 6A delivery team and have a number of vacancies across a diverse range of disciplines.
A vacancy for a Lead System Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Telecoms Payload Engineering group and report to the System Engineering Team Leader.
The Telecom Payload System Engineering team is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload projects; to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products.
You will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance.
Tasks & Accountabilities
- Lead the System Engineering Team assigned to a telecom payload project; with a main focus on RF System, but also monitoring Electrical Systems and EMC
- Understand or interpret customer requirements
- Assist in the design processes for a telecom payload, supporting the production of detailed equipment specifications; working hand-in-hand with Payload Equipment Specialist
- Support supplier surveillance activities during the design implementation phase of the payload
- As part of a project team, perform RF analyses of payload performances and payload system architecture
- Prepare analysis data (using analysis tools), compile written reports and analysis documentation
- Review inputs from RF System team and present analysis data to the customer in routine gate reviews (PDR, BDR, CDR, etc). Support/lead customer and supplier design/test review meetings
- Support test campaigns and the analysis of test results, working hand-in-hand with the Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) operations team (in clean room environment)
- Lead investigation of technical issues or problems
- Support other groups, eg. Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, suppliers and AIT
- Coordinate workload across the RF System team members assigned to your project
- Support the spacecraft test campaign on spacecraft integration site for environmental tests (thermal vacuum tests) and for radiated tests
- Outside of project work, support proposals, contribute to innovative R&D programmes and support/lead technical bid activities
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
- RF communication engineering, including RF Instruments; Test Equipment and Test technique
- Working within an environment controlled strictly through an established Quality system
- Microwave/high frequency RF engineering
- Knowledge of Satellite Communications systems and equipment fitted to the Satellite payload (receivers, converters, amplifiers, waveguides, antennas, etc)
- Modulation and coding schemes
What Airbus can offer you
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and very strong, very real strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for the selection process – you can share this with the Recruitment Business Partner who gets in touch if you are invited to interview. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; auxiliary aids; room layout etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.