Push the Limit: Alba Orbital advance the frontiers of spacecraft
Few space companies begin at home, yet that is exactly where it all began for AlbaOrbital. The fifteen-person Glasgow startup is leading the push to democratize space itself, developing and selling PocketQubes – small satellites which may be considered the perfect fit for a relatively small space company. But size can be misleading: Alba Orbital is pushing back the boundaries of space.
Four years on from launching in Walkinshaw’s bedroom, Alba Orbital is achieving the unthinkable: pushing to develop small satellites capable of delivering functioning payloads to space. Working in partnership with the European Space Agency, the company is planning a pilot launch of its Unicorn-1 picosatellite, at the same time developing the larger Unicorn-2 model – the world’s first picosatellite equipped with quadruple deployable solar panels. Alba Orbital is the world leader in PocketQube satellites and is one of the UK’s most innovative companies
The team has won five major contracts with the European Space Agency, worth in excess of €1.5 million (£1.28m).
- Reporting to the CEO, this role will allow the successful applicant to be responsible for growing our global sales targets in the fast-growing UK Space sector which is providing opportunities to both commercial and domestic customers. The successful applicant must have a stable career record with proven experience of closing business and sales performance along with high levels of integrity and desire to succeed in a new and exciting sector of Scottish business.
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- The role will be responsible and accountable for growing Alba sales globally, identifying and generating new business in the Space sector and expanding revenue within the existing client base.
- Generating a sales and prospect database to ensure all opportunities are recorded and managed to objectives set by the CEO.
- Must be confident in working independently, managing their own workload and able to plan their own timetable strategically to ensure opportunities are maximized.
- The successful applicant will have a professional manner and some form of engineering background to allow them to communicate with potential clients and customers. An interest in the Space sector will be an added bonus.