Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
As a Cloud and DevOps Platform Engineer you work will with platform engineers in the design, build and maintenance of PaaS platform (Cloud Foundry) and DevOps tooling platform. As part of this team you will help enhance our next-generation private cloud platforms and DevOps tooling and strategy.
What you’ll be doing
- Hands-on, in-depth experience with diverse HTTP/JEE/Middleware products and solutions
- Virtual infrastructure running Ubuntu Linux and Windows operating systems
- Platform design, implementation and operations in Cloud IaaS and PaaS environments (major in Cloud Foundry, Docker, and Kubernetes; minor in VMware)
- Solid Linux experience, experience with DevOps tooling such as Puppet, BOSH, Jira, SVN, Git, Maven, HP ALM
- Understanding of cloud application design principles
- Excellent communication skills able to work in a collaborative team and share ideas and material at workshops and webinars
- Typically engineering/science degree or has served a technical apprenticeship and obtained NVQ and further education technical qualifications (i.e. HND).
- May have obtained some appropriate recognised current accreditation to an external professional body and/or industry standard.
- Relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrates competence in own area and may still be acquiring higher level skill.
- Typically works with moderate guidance in own area of knowledge.
- Deepens knowledge/skills in one area or broadens ability over a variety of skills.
- Applies knowledge/skills to a variety of standard day to day activities.
- Identifies unusual technical problems
- Responds to client requests in non-standard situations, and investigates all the facts.
- Understands the key business drivers; and uses this knowledge to focus own work.
- Works to control costs related to own work.
- Identifies the problem and all relevant issues in straightforward situations; is able to generate possible solutions and assess each using standard procedures, leading to a sound decision.
- Prioritises and organises own work to deliver to agreed deadlines.
- Probes and listens carefully.
- Able to present information clearly and in an appropriate style to make technical information clear.
- Persuades others in straightforward situations.
- Able to contribute actively in team activities, sharing experience and ideas.
- Builds productive relationships internally and externally.
- Has a comprehensive understanding of professional communities relevant to the LOB and uses the PC development framework to maximise the potential of themselves, their team and the wider BT team.
Other good to have skills:
- Understanding of the private and public cloud platforms and providers, such as AWS, GCP, Azure and Cloud Foundry
- Cloud building blocks – compute, storage, network, tools & automation
- Understanding of modern data platforms such as Reddis, Rabbit MQ/Kafka
- Experience in ELK setup; broad knowledge in systems telemetry and monitoring (Nagios, ELK, newRelic, AppDynamics, Splunk, etc.)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (firewalls, load balancers, DNS, DHCP, NAT) and various virtualization technologies
- Experience with automation scripts and CI/CD pipeline tools, including Jenkins or Concourse and other DevOps tool chain components
- Experience with servers (Tomcat, Weblogic) and databases (Oracle, Mongo, Postgres), as well as Bosh, Chef, Puppet, Ruby, Go, Nagios, Splunk and/or Siteminder
Why choose us?
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.The Engineering Excellence team within the IT CoE (Centre of Excellence) are dedicated to delivering the best possible experience for our developers in the organization.
Our vision: To lead the way in creating a better everyday life for our software engineers, helping them deliver high quality software efficiently, iteratively and collaboratively with the business utilising best-in-class tools, platforms and practices.The team will lead the way in Cloud Native computing and deliver a Platform as a Service (PaaS) capability for IT, a set of modern DevOps Tools and Capabilities and a range of best practice guidelines to allow our software engineers to perform at their best.The team will lead IT in modern software engineering techniques like Cloud Native computing and Serverless Computing. We’ll be connected externally and incubate new tools and practices as the industry evolves. Our role is to be one step ahead and lead our IT organisation in an ever changing and evolving landscape.We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.