Unlock the power of data from space. Analytical Space, Inc. is a venture-backed startup developing a network of small satellites that use a combination of RF and laser communication to provide global data relay services. The network will connect remote sensing satellites when they would otherwise be idle, such as over the ocean, enabling greater data throughput and lower latency. The company launched its first satellite, which is roughly the size of a shoebox and is launching its second satellite in late 2019.
The company is based out of MIT’s “The Engine,” a home for Tough Tech founders building the next generation of world-changing companies in Cambridge. We are recruiting people with cutting-edge minds that thrive in a fast-paced startup environment to create the next satellite with us.
ABOUT THE MECHANICAL ENGINEER ROLE:
As a member of the engineering team, you will be part of a small, nimble, and passionate team that designs and develops our operational satellites. You will be in charge of designing, testing, and validating spacecraft mechanical subsystems and R&D systems. Wide-ranging tasks will include spacecraft bus design, vibration analysis, thermal analysis and modeling, component design and packaging, prototyping, integration, and testing. You will help the team with requirements creation and tracking, careful documentation, and test development. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in spaceflight hardware development, systems engineering principles, and be able to work highly independently when the situation requires it.
- Plan, conceptualize and create mechanical designs for new spacecraft, subsystems, and R&D efforts
- Develop testing processes, and perform testing and validation of new designs
- Generate working prototypes for beta testing and demonstration
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work
- Create and review technical drawings, plans, and specifications using computer software
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary engineering teams, and work with vendors and contractors
- Perform detailed documentation to track project development and design process
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering
- 3+ years experience working in the aerospace engineering field, including experience designing mechanical systems
- Experience using CAD, CAM, and Matlab/LabView programs
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical principles and statistics to solve problems
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills and reasoning ability
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Must be self-motivated and a great team player
NICE TO HAVE:
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience with space systems engineering
- Familiarity with space flight systems and aware of the complications that come with designing for the space environment