Analytical Space, Inc. is a venture-backed startup developing a network of small satellites that use a combination of RF and laser communication to provide global data relay services. The network will connect remote sensing satellites when they would otherwise be idle, such as over the ocean, enabling greater data throughput and lower latency.
The company is based out of MIT’s “The Engine,” a home for Tough Tech founders building the next generation of world-changing companies in Cambridge. We are recruiting people with cutting-edge minds that thrive in a fast-paced startup environment to create the next satellite with us!
- The Cross-Cutting Prototyping, Experimentation, and Integration Engineer will be part of an initially small and nimble team to develop the key optical communications technology used in our network of data relay satellites that are transforming the way we think about obtaining data from space.
- You will work quickly and carefully to collaborate with optical and embedded systems engineers to create new technologies for use in space.
- You will be responsible for designing and building spaceflight hardware prototypes.
- You will be in charge of designing, prototyping, and testing various mechanical and electrical systems on critical optical communications hardware.
- The role will require candidates to have good judgment in making time-sensitive trade-offs between time, cost, and complexity.
- Bachelor’s degree in math, physics, engineering, or a related field and 5+ years of experience; or master’s degree and 2+ years of experience.
- This role will entail a dynamic mix of design, analysis, and hands-on building, and candidates are therefore required to have a broad range of mechanical and electronics experience.
- Experience working on technical challenges associated with building satellites or satellite subsystems bound for space (LEO and up to deep space applications required).
- Well-versed in mechanical design and fabrication, computer instrumentation control, and modeling and analysis software (MATLAB, FEA/FEM, thermal analysis tools, radiation analysis tools).
- Experience in all aspects of designing and building spaceflight hardware prototypes.
- Comfortable working on projects start to finish – from proposal and design studies, through prototype development and testing and analysis, to product development and manufacturing.
- Comfortable with electronics assembly and testing for prototype efforts, ESD protocols and best practices.
- Comfortable working in both highly collaborative efforts, as well as working completely independently, as the occasion requires.
Desired, but not Required
- Experience with or knowledge of optical instrumentation, test equipment, and system components.
- Experience as a Research and Development or Rapid Prototyping engineering.
- Management experience or project management experience.