Apogee Engineering, LLC is a growing provider of research, engineering, operations, software, cyber and intel expertise across an array of DOD and Federal Civilian customers.
Apogee Engineering is seeking a Software Systems Architect to work remotely. This effort supports the development of web-based applications and systems that enable scientific data synthesis, analysis, visualization and management for the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Science Data Management (SDM) Branch. Key elements of the mission include developing national data products to enable USGS science; creating innovative tools and technologies for scientific discovery, science data life cycle management, and rapid response to science issues; and implementation of digital library research and data services.
*** This position can sit remotely anywhere in the US***
Why work with us?
Apogee Engineering, LLC is a growing provider of research, engineering, operations, software, cyber, and intel expertise across an array of DOD and Federal Civilian customers. Apogee’s culture is infused with integrity and a passion for excellence, which has propelled Apogee into the ranks of an elite small business company, known for unwavering dedication to their client’s success, a warm and family-like work environment, and an enthusiasm to providing the right solution at the right time.
What you will be doing:
- Develop web-based applications and systems that enable scientific data synthesis, analysis, visualization, and management.
- Provide support related to systems analysis, software development/programming, web development/design, and quality control.
- Research, develop, and implement databases, mobile applications, data integration tools/services, tools supporting scientific data modeling, data visualization tools, digital library management/delivery applications, Cloud-based approaches, and web services for automated access to organizational products and services.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify backend and frontend development requirements and document them within annual work plans and user stories that identify requirements, expected results, and project milestones or completion dates.
- Undertake rapid prototyping to create the decided functionality and integrate it into the application.
- Ensure that software and applications are fully functional and operational.
- Create and maintain documentation for all code produced under this effort.
What you’ll need:
- Proficiency in database technologies, and specifically PostgreSQL;
- Proficiency in web frameworks, and specifically Spring Boot, Flask, FastAPI, VueJS, and React;
- Proficiency in Macintosh and Linux OS environments;
- Proficiency with test-driven development and knowledge of unit component integration testing;
- Proficiency using software management tracking systems such as Jira and Confluence;
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) using GitLab and Docker
- Familiarity with data standards including JSON and XML;
- Familiarity with Cloud native approaches (AWS), and infrastructure as code (Terraform);
- Familiarity with REST and GraphQL APIs, including API standards such as Open API/Swagger;
- Knowledge of system analysis, system architecture and NIST/DOI/USGS/SAS security policies and practices;
- Knowledge of software development principles, traditional software development techniques, and understanding of agile development methodologies.
- Experience with Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) using SQL and Python is desirable.
- Ability to work with distributed software teams
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)