Building laser communication and AI systems to support the world's data needs and remote missions
About Archangel Imaging:
We believe the teams of the future will be hybrid, with humans working alongside machines to solve persistent, global problems, and we’re building that future using the latest in advanced AI technologies and connected edge devices.
With projects ranging from anti-poaching protection to rail trespass monitoring, we excel in helping companies protect their remote assets and we’re proud to have won several international awards for our work. We’ll provide you a high-paced, challenging and fulfilling environment to further your career, empowering you to help you shine in your role.
We are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer with experience delivering commercial embedded devices. This experience will be used to develop our Smart Cameras and wireless communications devices, capable of being deployed in remote places.
The successful candidate will own the software/firmware development for all our devices, working with the devices Tech Lead and the Computer Vision Engineers to deliver low power edge-AI and wireless comms devices.
The ideal candidate is a great team player. A good communicator, very hands on, capable of prototyping, design, development, and testing. They will also need to understand or learn how deep learning inference is implemented on embedded devices.
Some travel required. Likely >3 trips/year to support pilots, visit suppliers, visit customers etc..
Produce working software for our small volume, fully functioning edge-compute devices
Develop and integrate software/firmware in these areas:
- Wireless IoT comms
- GPS/GNSS positioning
- Control / state machines / interfaces
- Boot logic
- Board bring up / testing
- Deep learning inference
- Multiple cameras
- Battery power monitoring
- Renewable energy charging
Testing of software and devices, e.g. range testing radios, measuring solar charging efficiency or deep learning model accuracy
Liaise with other development teams to integrate various components
Support the other development teams with rapid prototyping
Essential skills/ experience:
- Degree in a computer science related subject
- Experience delivering functioning commercial embedded software on various technologies
- Excellent skills with embedded software development on low power CPUs and microcontrollers/MCUs
- Excellent Python, C++, C skills
- Strong Linux development skills.
- Strong skills with wireless technologies and standards (LoRa, Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth etc.)
- Good understanding of networking architecture and protocols
- Strong logical and mathematical skills
- Strong prototyping and problem solving skills
- Strong software design and development experience, including OO design
- Experience with various interface technologies (device drivers, hardware drivers, serial, GPIO, interrupts etc.)
- Understanding of low power electronic engineering for embedded devices.
- Awareness of hardware limitations
Desirable skills/ experience:
- Machine learning and computer vision solutions – Camera skills paired with either ML/CV or embedded HW/SW
- Strong skills working with camera sensors, modules and interfaces
- Good skills in embedded software optimization
- Drone / UAS design/development experience
- Customer engagement experience
- Good skills in power profiling and power optimization
- Exposure to hardware (mechanics, electronics)
- Testing of software and devices, e.g. range testing radios, measuring solar charging efficiency or deep learning model accuracy
- Experience with renewable energy solutions
- Experience with battery technologies
Ability to contribute to other areas:
- Working understanding of PCB design and manufacture
- Working understanding of 3D modelling and manufacture (CNC, 3D printing)
- Electronics design & build
What you’ll get in return:
- Merit-based compensation (salary, bonuses, equity)
- Investment in you to be the best you can be, including training resources
- The ability to make a measurable difference in a small company with big ambitions
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you
- A technology-centric culture that understands
- As much responsibility as you are willing to take on
- A variety of perks: Gym discounts, cinema half price, free phone insurance, shopping and supermarket discounts plus many more!
Location: Most of the work can be done remotely. Hardware-related work is based the Harwell Space Campus. Visits to the office for collaboration are encouraged (when possible).
Interested applicants may wish to join first as a fixed-term consultant although we prefer to find a good permanent match.
Security clearance: Due to the sensitive nature of some of our work, it would be beneficial for candidates to be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for this role
Recruitment agencies? We very rarely work with agencies, so we are unlikely to work with new ones. If you are an agency and really need to introduce yourself, please write to recruitment at archangel dot im and we will invite you to a bidding process if we ever need additional support.