Unlocking the value of deployable autonomous technology
We have an exciting role available where you will join our team to solve autonomous navigation in challenging environments without reliable GPS signals to protect lives in military and civilian use cases. You will be working with a team of engineers to develop the hardware and software to allow drones to navigate using visual information. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and integrating advanced computer vision solutions, using deep learning, classical techniques, 3D simulation and real platforms. As our work is highly knowledge driven you will be trained in and pioneering the use of novel frameworks, cloud computing and development tools to be able to handle the large volumes of data and deliver world-leading technology to our customers.
Day-to-day tasks you work on might include
- Developing and improving vision-based navigation algorithms to be highly reliable and robust
- Fusing and filtering information from different sensors to provide reliable position estimates
- Deploying algorithms to our drone platform and optimising performance
- Testing of your algorithms and analysing data with live or simulated drone flights
- Improving our infrastructure for simulating, analysing, and deploying navigation software
What do you need to have?
- Commercial software design and development experience, including OO design
- Production-level proficiency with C++ and Python
- Proficiency with computer vision libraries and techniques (OpenCV, image registration, etc.)
- Excellent mathematical skills
What would be great to have?
You don’t need these to apply, but if you do, highlight them to help your application stand out:
- Strong understanding of and experience working with imaging sensors, image processing, camera interfaces and other sensor data (LIDAR, IMU etc.)
- Commercial experience delivering computer vision solutions, including on embedded platforms
- Experience with deep learning techniques for inferring data from images (classification, detection, segmentation, etc).
- Proficiency with machine learning frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch etc.)
- Expertise with positioning/pose and navigation algorithms: Visual odometry, SLAM etc.
- Experience with position, navigation and time systems or GNSS development
- Simulation platform experience
- Drone / UxV / Robotics experience, especially ROS
- Automation and devops (CI/CD) especially leveraging the cloud for simulation and integration testing
- Location: All hardware and much of the flight-related work is based at the Harwell Science and
- Innovation Campus. Visits to the office for collaboration are therefore strongly preferred although much of the software development can be done remotely.
- Security clearance: You will need access to government restricted info to do the work, so you must be willing to and be eligible to pass security checks.
What you’ll get
- Merit-based compensation (salary, bonuses, shares options scheme)
- Investment in you to be the best you can be, including training resources (e.g., drone pilot training)
- The ability to make a measurable difference in a small company, building cutting edge technology with big visions
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home (when feasible) and custom arrangements that matter to you
- A culture of supportive team and high ownership so you can get as much responsibility as you are willing to take on
- A variety of perks: Gym discounts, cinema half price, free phone insurance, shopping, and supermarket discounts plus many more!