Archangel Aerospace Group is a leading consultancy and incubator for advanced unmanned technology and operations.
We attack some of the most challenging problems in the world today using exponential technologies and the drive to make an impact. From Archangel Aerospace’s legacy in world-record high altitude solar-electric aircraft we have leveraged deep technical leadership expertise to better enable the machines we send to far flung corners – satellites in orbit and remote monitoring robotics. We operate at the convergence of multiple advancing technologies (space, robotics, AI, secure communications) and have spun out two startups to tackle problems like illegal logging, safety at sea, pollution and infrastructure support.
About Archangel Lightworks:
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialized in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Our mission is to 100x the data volume downloadable from orbit to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats. This project will be developed directly with the European Space Agency.
We’re proud to have won several international awards for our work. We’ll provide you a high-paced, challenging and fulfilling environment to further your career, empowering you to help you shine in your role.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, passionate test engineer with systems engineering knowledge to support us in test and verification development, detailed development of test campaigns, test procedures, willing to push themselves to solve challenging problems in a friendly, cutting edge technology company.
Working on high performance free space optical communication terminals the ideal candidate is confident in taking responsibility for their area, has a logical and structured approach to problem solving and can communicate complex technical topics effectively. As our test design systems engineer, the candidate will be responsible for system & subsystem level testing of optical communication terminals designed for space and air segments for risk mitigation and requirement verification. Tests will include functional and performance tests for pointing control and high-speed optical communication verification of complex electro-optical systems.
What will you be responsible for?
You will be responsible for:
- Definition of test cases, test design, development of test specification and test procedures for qualification and verification tests, in close corporation with the specialist systems engineers.
- Managing the scope, complexity, cost and schedule of testing activities while ensuring they are suitable for requirement verification.
- Specification and design of equipment for optical and pointing test setup as necessary.
- Assembly / integration of test setups for the various test campaigns, supporting AIT personnel.
- Supporting test execution, working closely with AIT personnel and the relevant specialist systems engineer.
- Support of preparation of inputs for TRR, NCR, PTR meetings.
What skills do you need to have?
- At least 5 years of experience as a Test Engineer in a similar field.
- Hands on experience in test design and verification design for optical, functional and pointing control tests.
- Hands on experience in integration of test setups and execution of complex multidisciplinary test campaigns.
- Hands on experience of test design, test case definition, validation and verification for functional, performance and lab/breadboard tests.
- Experience with ECSS standards
- Systems engineering experience/knowledge with a focus on testing and verification (e.g. Phase D)
What skills would be great to have?
- Hands on experience with ECSS processes for testing
- Experience with testing philosophy in aviation
- Experience with agile approaches in development and testing
- Experience also in safety relevant designs and safety relevant testing.
- Experience in development and verification of optical instruments.
- Experience with operation and testing with lasers, laser safety
- Clean room experience
- Background in aerospace, aviation or physics (Msc preferred)
What you’ll get in return:
- An opportunity to make a measurable difference in a small company with big ambitions
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you
- A technology-centric culture that understands engineers
- Location: Work can be conducted partially remotely. Any test/measurement work cannot be conducted remotely.
- Notice: This role is hiring immediately so please do not apply with more than a 2 week notice period.