Are you an experienced Lead Systems Engineer looking to make the world (and the solar system) a more connected place?
Joining Archangel Lightworks, you will be responsible of the technical leadership of the product development team to deliver a market-leading optical communication terminal in a start-up environment.
Join us and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all! We work extensively with aerospace primes, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.
You will make an impact by:
- Managing and executing system design processes for high-performance free space optical communication terminals (1-100Gbps+)
- System and subsystem level trade analysis on a performance and cost basis
- Defining and tracking of system requirements from initial use case definition, subsequent subsystem and component requirement derivation
- Defining and maintenance of technical budgets (link, pointing, mass, volume, and data budgets)
- Interfacing with external customers, partners, suppliers and external subcontractors on a technical basis as appropriate
- Creating test plans and specifications as needed
- Overseeing Assembly, Integration, and Test (AIT) activities
- Leading technical reviews
- Managing project and product technical data
- Managing system configuration, changes and associated processes
- Technical management (requirement, interface, planning, risk, configuration, etc.) to support the project management team
- Supporting the professional development of project engineers, empowering the team by arranging appropriate training, and providing feedback mechanisms for continuous improvement through 121’s
Must have requirements:
- Technical degree, e.g. systems engineering, satellite communication engineering, electronic engineering, physics, aerospace engineering
- Experience developing satellite communication systems or electro-optic systems/payloads
- Experience with MBSE, SysML and relevant MBSE tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect)
- Experience with systems engineering through manufacturing, assembly, integration and testing phases e.g. ESA phase C/D/E
Nice to have requirements
You don’t need these to apply, but please highlight if you have any of them to help your application stand out:
- Familiarity with relevant CCSDS and ECSS standards
- Familiarity with relevant IEEE standards
- Familiarity with European Space Agency and Ministry of Defense (MOD) processes
- AIT experience, particularly high-speed electronics or optics
- Knowledge of control systems, GNC, pointing acquisition and tracking systems
- Experience with C-Band optical communication components including detector technology (coherent, non-coherent), photodetectors, optical amplifiers, laser diodes, modulators, high speed digital electronics, adaptive optics
- FPGAs, VHDL, IP Core implementation
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Experience with supplier management, supply chain management.
Location: Hybrid with travel when required. Our office is currently based at the Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire, but we’ll be making a move to new premises in Oxford early 2023. Ideally 3-4 days per week will be in person in the office.
By joining us, you will have:
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you
- Merit-based compensation (salary, equity options scheme), alongside pension contribution and annual leave allowance
- Investment in you to help you grow, with training resources and budget
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Annual team retreat, regular socials and weekly team lunch
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, shopping discounts, learning and wellbeing app subscriptions.