Senior Mechanical Engineer – Space laser comms
Space connectivity reimagined. We are building deployable laser communication systems for the space-enabled networks of the future.
Are you an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a background in aerospace looking to venture into the realms for laser communication?
Joining us at Archangel Lightworks, you will be responsible for the development of our structural and mechanical systems for our optical communication terminals, with a near term focus on ground systems. This includes modifying existing designs to meet new needs in addition to designing new equipment. You will work closely with the project lead and control systems engineer to deliver high performance structures and mechanical pointing devices.
Join us and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all! We work extensively with aerospace primes, ESA, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.
You will make an impact by:
- Designing structural components, actuation mechanisms for free space optical communication systems
- Performing Finite Element Analysis of components and structures to inform design and support verification of requirements, from load case definition to delivery of technical reports
- Documentation of design and analysis for internal tracking and external customer deliverables
- Writing detailed assembly procedures and technical build information
- Designing and manufacturing test equipment, working closely with AIT personnel
- Undertaking the integration of mechanical components/assemblies in Archangel Lightworks’ AIT facilities
- Participating in document preparation and design reviews throughout each phase of payload development
- Creating BOMs for systems and subsystems
- Managing CAD and FEA software tools
- Work package management and responsibility for estimating, schedule & budgets
- Managing subcontractors as needed for specialist structural design, analysis and manufacturing tasks.
Must have requirements:
- Must have substantial, relevant, experience in structural/mechanical system design in the aerospace industry
- Must have substantial, relevant, experience with structural FEA analysis and incorporating those results into the design process
- Competent use of leading CAD and FEA packages (Solidworks and ANSYS preferred)
- Experience of PDM, sign off and drawing release
- Experience with practical assembly and integration
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
Nice to have requirements:
You don’t need these to apply, but please highlight if you have any of them to help your application stand out:
- Experience designing optomechanical assemblies
- Developing positioning systems and an understanding of the interactions between mechanical systems and control systems
- Experience designing components for additive manufacture
- Aerospace and defense industry experience
- Experience developing topology optimized structures
- Experience designing EO/IR imaging systems
- Experience with design and analysis of CFRP structures
- Experience with design-for volume manufacture
- Familiarity with ECSS guidance on structural design and analysis
- Practical experience with prototyping tools (CNC machines, additive manufacturing, laser cutting etc)
Location: Hybrid with travel when required. Our office is currently based in Osney Mead, Oxford.
By being part of our team, you will have:
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision;
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you;
- Competitive compensation (salary, equity options scheme), alongside pension contribution and annual leave allowance
- Investment in you to help you grow, with training resources and budget
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Annual team retreat, regular socials and weekly team lunch
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, shopping discounts, learning and wellbeing app subscriptions