Technology and Innovation Intern – Laser communications
Space connectivity reimagined. We are building deployable laser communication systems for the space-enabled networks of the future.
Are you a physics student or graduate excited by the possibilities which laser communication technology can offer?
Joining Archangel Lightworks as a Technology and Innovation Intern, you will be responsible for researching the technology landscape for laser communications and providing product intelligence to map the opportunities, competitors, and emerging trends.
Join us and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all!
We work extensively with aerospace primes, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.
We are passionate about innovation and driven to improve humanity’s communications infrastructure. To support our growth, we are looking for an ambitious and curious Technology and Innovation Intern to help us incorporate additional and adjacent technology understanding into our product roadmap.
What will you be responsible for?
- Conducting market research on laser communication technology – identifying and analysing emerging trends, opportunities, and challenges in the industry
- Evaluating competitors and their products/services to identify areas of opportunity
- Conducting product intelligence research to identify potential product enhancements, product gaps, and new product development opportunities
- Producing market development collateral materials, such as presentations, reports, and one-pagers
- Collaborating with the CTO and Project Manager to integrate findings into current projects and future roadmaps.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics or a related field (achieved or in progress)
- Demonstrated interest in the space sector
- Strong understanding of satellite communications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Desirable additional skills
- Previous experience researching novel technologies.
Compensation & Perks
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision;
- Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you;
- Competitive compensation, alongside pension contribution and annual leave allowance
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Annual team retreat, regular socials and weekly team lunch
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, shopping discounts, learning and wellbeing app subscriptions.
The internship will take place over the summer for a minimum of 8 weeks with flexibility to extend. Salary will be £24,000 annual equivalent, pro-rated to the duration of the internship. You will be based at our Oxford HQ in Osney Mead, with the possibility for hybrid working.