Symmetric Encryption Reborn for the Cloud
Quantum Specialist/Photonics Specialist – London
We have a Purpose: we use transformational quantum encryption technology to keep safe the data of our governments, enterprises and citizens. You can be a part of that purpose. Join a team where every member is valued in our work solving a big problem impacting people and outcomes around the globe. Our business is about trust in data and we start with trust in you.
Arqit has brought together a world-leading team of pioneers in engineering and cryptography, and we now have an opportunity for a Quantum/Photonics Specialist. The role may involve working in our London office or in our regional operations centre, and there will be considerable flexibility around working from home; there will also be some (not extensive) business travel.
We believe that inclusivity makes us a stronger, happier team, with better decision-making and greater ability to connect with all customers, and we are committed to maintaining a working environment which is welcoming and supportive.
Arqit has a new opportunity for a passionate physicist or engineer, with research and applied experience of quantum information systems and/or photonics, to support realisation of our innovative QKD system. This will be an exciting role as a specialist working closely with our senior engineers, skilled academic and industrial partners, to deliver genuinely cutting-edge technology from the laboratory into the real-world environment.
The role could be adapted to suit the level of experience of the successful applicant. We encourage applications from senior, mid and early career candidates.
What you will be doing
- Perform theoretical analysis, technical assessment and trade-offs & simulation on topics including system level quantum & classical communication budgets, QKD protocols and component systems
- Support oversight of design, manufacture and delivery of space- and ground-based quantum systems from industrial partners including by:
- Monitor progression and deliverables against Arqit requirements
- Enhance requirements, design and planning documentation
- Identify issues and resolutions
- Support, perform or oversee prototyping, integration, testing and acceptance activities
- Provide technical expertise to other Arqit staff as optics expert
- Identify, investigate and develop promising quantum technologies for future systems, including novel protocols and sources
- Undertake collaborative studies and R&D projects for future Arqit systems
Key skills that we’re looking for
- Degree in Mathematics, Physics or Engineering (minimum 2:1)
- 2+ years applied or research experience on quantum optics and/or photonics in post-graduate, industrial or PhD environments.
- Desire to work on new technologies and concepts for quantum and space
- Desire to work autonomously within a small dynamic team
- Comfortable interfacing with external suppliers and partners
- Able to obtain UK security clearance
Useful additional experience
- Research experience (PhD and beyond) in quantum information
- Demonstrable advanced knowledge in one or more of the following:
- Quantum optics/photonics
- Theoretical framework of QKD protocols
- Free space QKD/optical communication systems
- Single-photon sources; Photonic integrated chips
- Quantum random number generators
- Experience with simulation and modelling of quantum information systems
- Experience with design, assembly and performance testing of photonic systems
- Familiarity with satellite systems and space environment constraints