Symmetric Encryption Reborn for the Cloud
Senior/Staff Software Engineer – OGR Control & Reporting
Arqit is a world-leading high-innovation organisation: we’re building the world’s first global quantum safe cloud PaaS system to deliver provable security to data at rest, on the move and in transaction.
Arqit has brought together a world-leading team of pioneers in engineering and cryptography, and we now have an opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer.
The role will involve working both in our London office and in our regional operations centre, and there will also be flexibility around working from home. We are committed to maintaining a working environment which is welcoming and supportive.
What you’ll be doing:
- As a member of the rapidly growing Arqit software engineering team, you will help define the software systems that will deliver world-changing Quantum Key Distribution technology.
- Your primary focus will be in the design and development of software for the QKD ground receiver.
- This will require you to be experienced in the development of control and monitoring software for remote systems.
- In order to define a highly secure, scalable, resilient, supportable and maintainable subsystem that will be deployed to customer sites, you will work closely with system architects and systems engineers to analyse and understand the ground receiver requirements.
- You will ensure that the remote ground receiver subsystems are supportable, delivering reporting, logging and tooling to quickly diagnose issues from the central control facility.
- You will lead the development of the control and monitoring software, mentoring and coaching software engineering staff to build their understanding of distributed systems engineering. You will be working in close collaboration with the mission control and reporting team to ensure technical alignment across the subsystems.
- You will work with 3rd party suppliers, providing feedback on delivered components and working with the supplier to resolve issues.
What we’re looking for:
- Multiple project experience in design and development of highly resilient control software.
- Demonstrated experience of networking, secure communication and hardware control and reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in modelling system behaviour and creating software design models.
- Deep understanding of software development best practices, source control, versioning, unit testing, code coverage, code reviews, continuous integration, secure coding, etc.
- Expert in a range of programming and scripting languages, e.g. C/C++/Java/Kotlin
- Performance analysis and code optimization
- Proactive analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong communication skills, ability to present technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- A good understanding of classical cryptography
- Ability to work in the UK and ability to gain UK security clearance are both essential
Helpful to have
- Agile development team experience, e.g. Scrum/Kanban
- Service based software, REST APIs etc
- Use of Hardware Security Modules
- DevOps experience
- Innovative ideas and solutions to solve technical issues and/or gain competitive advantage