Symmetric Encryption Reborn for the Cloud
Senior Software Engineer – Satellite software
We have a Purpose: we use transformational quantum encryption technology to keep safe the data of our governments, enterprises and citizens. You can be a part of that purpose. Join a team where every member is valued in our work solving a big problem impacting people and outcomes around the globe. Our business is about trust in data and we start with trust in you.
Arqit has brought together a world-leading team of pioneers and we now have a new opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer.
The role will be have considerable flexibility around working from home, with occasional days in our London office or in a regional operations centre. We believe that inclusivity makes us a stronger, happier team, with better decision-making and greater ability to connect with all customers, and we are committed to maintaining a working environment which is welcoming and supportive.
As a Senior Software Engineer within the Software Engineering organisation at Arqit, you will work on an exciting strategic cybersecurity roadmap, taking advantage of your deep knowledge, understanding and experience in the development of mission critical embedded software to help deliver on the Arqit vision.
You will be responsible for the design, implementation and test of software components within the Satellite QKD system, with the primary focus on the Satellite Payload sub-system. This QKD system will be the cornerstone for providing protection against quantum computing threats in digital communications for our customers. You will use your extensive development knowledge and experience to drive high quality solutions, providing guidance and motivation to less experienced engineers.
This is a great opportunity to join a team at the start of an exciting journey into an emerging technology space, working with talented teams of product managers, scientists, designers, space and software engineers.
What you’ll be doing:
- As a member of the rapidly growing Arqit software engineering team, you will help define the software systems that will deliver world-changing Quantum Key Distribution technology.
- Your primary focus will be in the design and development of software for the satellite payload computer. This will require you to be experienced in secure development of remote embedded mission critical software.
- You will also review and provide critical feedback on 3rd party software developed by sub-contractors, ensuring compliance with Arqit standards.
- To define highly secure, scalable, resilient, supportable, and maintainable satellite software, you will work closely with system and software architects, systems and software engineers to analyse and understand the requirements, before realising those requirements in a fully traceable and tested fashion.
- You will lead the development of the satellite payload software and work in close collaboration with teams developing the ground systems to ensure technical alignment.
- You will coach and mentor junior engineers to support the growth of their technical skills.
What we’re looking for
- BSc/MSc/BEng/MEng or equivalent in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or a related field.
- Experienced in leading the development of highly resilient mission critical embedded software running in a constrained RTOS environment (multiple projects, ideally in aerospace or a similar industry).
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in modelling system behaviour and creating software design models.
- Excellence in algorithmic analysis, design, and implementation.
- A deep understanding of classical cryptography.
- Deep understanding of software development best practices, source control, versioning, unit testing, code coverage, code reviews, continuous integration, secure coding, etc. applied within a mission critical environment.
- Experience with secure software development methods/practices (e.g. OWASP/others)
- Expert in a range of programming languages appropriate to building mission critical satellite software, e.g. C/C++/ADA.
- Skilled in performance analysis and code optimization.
- A proactive analytical and problem-solving abilities with a collaborative, can-do attitude to solving complex technical problems.
- Strong communication skills, ability to present technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work in the UK, and ability to gain UK security clearance are both essential
- Working knowledge of quantum cryptography.
- Experience of requirements management tools such as Jama, DOORS etc.
- Experience with FIPS 140 or Common Criteria compliant software developments.
- Experience with ECSS flight software developments (ECSS E40/Q80) or equivalent.
- Experience working with software subcontractors.
- Agile development team experience, e.g. Scrum/Kanban.
- Innovative ideas and solutions to solve technical issues and/or gain competitive advantage.