Transforming how the world connects
AST SpaceMobile and our global partners are building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network to be accessible by standard smartphones. Called SpaceMobile, this ultra-powerful network is being designed to provide connectivity at 4G/5G speeds everywhere on the planet – on land, at sea and in flight.
The Mission Operations Development Engineer is responsible for developing the processes, tools and procedures required for successful operation of the AST satellite constellation. This includes development of the Satellite Operations Center (SOC) facility and all mission operations products. This position is critical to provide Operations insight into the design and development of AST SpaceMobile, with a focus on automation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform trade studies on Satellite Operations Center (SOC) operations software tools
- Develop operations processes that evolve throughout the lifetime of the AST constellation
- Support development of automated operations tools
- Configure, operate, and troubleshoot SOC operations tools.
- Work with systems engineers and vendors to develop operational products required for launch & early orbit phase (LEOP), on-orbit checkout, commissioning, and operation of satellites.
- Develop and test mission operations procedures, sequences of events, telemetry displays, and other mission operations products
- Develop, test, and validate SOC procedures and processes
- Support system-level integration tests and end-to-end tests between the SOC and factory satellite
- Support mission readiness activities including operations tests, mission simulations, and rehearsals
- Support the mission operations team during LEOP and critical on-orbit activities, including possible periodic rotating shifts
- Modify existing operations procedures and processes to incorporate lessons learned from on-orbit performance.
- Support system development activities such as design reviews, readiness reviews, requirements management, architecture development, integration & test, and formal program milestones
- Provide mentoring and guidance to the mission operations team
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field
5+ years’ experience
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Familiarity with satellite command and control operations software and products
- LEO satellite operations experience including launch, in-orbit test, orbital maneuvers, commissioning, and deorbit
- Familiarity with engineering analysis tools
- Ability to work in a remote, distributed team with diversified individuals with varying backgrounds to achieve mission success
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in high stress environments
- Support of mission readiness activities including end-to-end tests and mission rehearsals
- Familiarity with training and certification programs for space system operators
- Comfortable working in a Windows and Linux environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- High level of problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to work in an environment with rapidly evolving system requirements
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID 19
- Masters/PhD degree
- Multi-satellite LEO constellation operations experience
- Experience with command and control software
- Experience developing mission products including procedures and command scripts using Python
- System engineering experience or significant classwork in system engineering or system design
- Comfortable working on applications deployed in AWS