TRANSFORMING CONNECTIVITY eliminating coverage gaps for billions
AST SpaceMobile and our global partners are building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network to be accessible by standard smartphones. Called SpaceMobile, this ultra-powerful network is being designed to provide connectivity at 4G/5G speeds everywhere on the planet – on land, at sea and in flight.
A successful Harness Engineer applies technical expertise from the aerospace industry to design, develop and implement harness solutions, with considerations for mechanical, electrical and systems engineering. Overall responsibilities the full life cycle of the harness subsystem from requirements derivation, concept, design, manufacture, integration and test of electronics packaging solutions for satellite programs.
A successful candidate will be innovative, creative, and challenge the status quo. He or she will work well in teams while also having the ability to lead a small team and to work assignments autonomously.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define harness requirements, point-to-point configuration, mechanical layout and construction, connector selection, Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) design, manufacturing drawings, installation drawings,
- Definition of mechanical outline and construction details, connector selection and specification, mechanical and assembly drawings, oversee electrical layout, electrical analysis, and ownership of final technical data package.
- Perform inspection of wiring harnesses, during production, receiving and installation in accordance with IPC-A-610 “Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies”Ability to understand and interpret complex, technical, schematics, diagrams, blueprints, manuals and/or publications; ability to route wires per technical drawings.
- Proficiency in avionics installation tooling, wiring, wiring repair, wiring installation, soldering, and crimping techniques in accordance with IPC-620 and ANSI-J-STD-001
- Ability to terminate various circular, coaxial, and D-type connectors.
- Perform testing such as pin-to-pin isolation, grounding, and continuity checks.
- Experience in a manufacturing, production, or warehouse environment
- Prior experience with electronic and/or mechanical assemblies and subassemblies
- Wire harness experience in accordance with NASA-STD-8739. 3 and 8739.4.
- Experience with any of the following industry specifications: IPC/WHMA-A-620, SAE AS22759, J-STD-001, Mil-PRF-31032, IPC-6013, IPC-2221, or IPC-2223
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience in design and manufacturing aerospace harness, flex, rigid flex or round wire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field. Higher degree is preferred.
- Hands on experience troubleshooting complex wiring issues by getting to root cause and providing corrective action.
- Knowledge/experience of aerospace flight hardware integration and testing
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID