We’re on a mission to improve life on Earth from space.
Astra’s mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we’ll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you’re excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.
The Avionics team designs, tests and manages all electrical components to power the vehicle, measure the environment using various sensors, and transfer critical data to ensure the rocket is ready for launch and will navigate our customers payload to its intended orbit.
As a GNC Engineer, you will be part of the small team that develops the control, estimation, and guidance algorithms that fly our rockets. You’ll be deeply involved in all aspects of GNC, but will also work closely with all teams to ensure that the rocket is designed and tested to launch, fly, and deploy its payload to the target orbit.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Develop: create requirements, GNC algorithms, simulation models, and trajectories
- Test: build out test automation across all environments, including Simulink simulation, hardware-in-the-loop, engine test cells, and with integrated vehicles
- Partner: work with other teams to define critical interfaces, specify component/system requirements, and contribute to decisions that shape future vehicles
- Fly: support launch from mission control and fulfill GNC responsibilities during the countdown
- Analyze: use ground test and flight data to verify system performance and improve the fidelity of the simulation
- Ownership: end-to-end responsibility for large aspects of the GNC system
Why We Value You
- You have 1+ years of experience in aerospace vehicle GNC development and simulation
- You have an advanced degree in engineering, physics, mathematics or equivalent
- You have experience with Simulink
- You possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate ideas, give technical feedback, and mentor team members
- You’re excited to work in a fast-paced, self-driven, iterative startup environment, and to build the systems that enable daily launches to space