We’re on a mission to improve life on Earth from space.
Astra’s mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we’ll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you’re excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.
- The propulsion team designs, tests, and continuously improves upon the engine modules providing thrust necessary for each vehicle stage to deliver customer payloads into orbit. T
- he team is comprised of talented engineers and technicians collaboratively working through the challenges of liquid propellant engine development and manufacturing.
- All forms of engine development, qualification and acceptance tests are conducted within our Alameda facility.
- As a Design Engineer within propulsion, you will have a system-level understanding of how a rocket engine operates, and maintain efficient packaging as hardware iterations are phased in.
- Engineering ownership includes the specification, analysis, design, fabrication/procurement, assembly and test of components and subassemblies critical to the engine.
- The ideal candidate possesses a broad range of engineering aptitude for structural, fluidic, and electromechanical systems.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission:
- Design flight hardware components, assemblies, and interfaces. Engineering responsibility from initial design to launch performance.
- Analyze components through hand calculations and FEA to show positive margin on design for flight critical hardware.
- Validate hardware through rigorous qualification and acceptance tests.
- Deliver quality results in a fast-paced work environment, while maintaining flexibility with changing priorities.
- Document the progression of hardware development through design reviews, technical drawings, and work instructions.
- Collaborate across teams to deliver a seamlessly integrated launch vehicle.
Why We Value You
- You have 5+ years of mechanical / propulsion design experience
- You are proficient with CAD and PLM software tools, particularly with large, shared assemblies
- You have extensive knowledge in material applications and manufacturing processes (machining, welding, brazing, metal forming, and heat treating)
- You effectively convey design intent through proper engineering drawings and GD&T
- You are competent in FEA of mechanical systems with applied thermal and pressure loads
- You design hardware with weight, cost, and manufacturability in mind
- You have initiative to execute on open-ended problems and deliver quality results
- You clearly communicate technical reasoning and manage hardware interfaces collaboratively between teams
- Experience with cryogenic and pressurized systems
- Experience with designing complex, integrated hardware systems
- Critical thinking applied to root cause investigation and corrective actions
- Familiarity with dimensional inspection equipment
- You have coordinated multi-disciplinary projects across an organization
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, self-driven entrepreneurial workplace where you get your hands dirty working directly with hardware