We’re on a mission to improve life on Earth from space.
Astra’s mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we’ll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you’re excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.
Astra aims to make Daily Space Delivery possible by being the first company to mass-produce orbital class launch vehicles. This necessitates a unique approach to design & production that blends lessons from the automotive and aerospace industries. The Mission Assurance team executes on this vision by driving the highest level of safety and quality in Astra’s design, analysis, supply chain, component manufacture, assembly processes, test procedures, and launch operations. Our north star is ensuring a safe and successful mission for every one of our customers.
- As a Senior Electronics Reliability Engineer, you will report to the Director of Reliability Engineering.
- You’ll partner closely with our Avionics and Avionics Test teams to develop and execute qualification test plans, acceptance test plans, and ongoing reliability tests for our rocket & spacecraft hardware.
- When test & field failures occur, you will lead failure analysis efforts to uncover root cause and implement corrective/preventive action. You will work with design teams to incorporate reliability targets and requirements for new products, including both our launch vehicles and our spacecraft.
- And you’ll do all this in an exciting startup environment, with a rapidly growing team, aggressive production & launch cadence ramp, and Astra’s rapid iterative design culture with exciting new products on the horizon.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission:
- Perform failure analysis to understand root cause and drive resolution for failures originating in testing and from the field
- Create fault trees and reliability block diagrams to assess system reliability
- Facilitate Design FMEA sessions to improve the reliability of our systems
- Influence supplier selection for higher reliability and provide clear guidance on reliability requirements and demonstration to suppliers
- Drive the transition from development to full-rate production by establishing reliability processes and quality documentation that will result in the highest success rate for our vehicles
- Re-think how we incorporate engineering requirements, verifications, qualification testing, acceptance testing, and more
Why We Value You:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical and Electronics (EE) Engineering
- 2+ years of industry experience on reliability of low voltage electronics
- Knowledge and experience with HALT and HASS/ESS for electronic and/or electro-mechnical systems
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CSAM, X-ray, cross-sectioning and EDX
- You partner seamlessly with other engineering and test personnel
- You are eager to jump in & learn how we test and fly our rocket, and bring skills and knowledge that will help us do it better
- You have experience with engineering requirements and verifications
- You have strong critical-thinking skills combined with the ability to break down complex technical problems into their digestible component parts
- You have an attention to detail and a passion for being complete, thorough, and comprehensive
- You have the professional self-esteem and confidence to “push back” on peers and executives when necessary
- You are an energetic individual with excellent communication skills (written and oral) and can distill complex concepts to a lay-person
- Master’s Degree in Reliability Engineering or Electrical and Electronics (EE) Engineering
- Previous experience in an industry with stringent reliability requirements (automotive, aerospace, medical, etc.)
- Previous experience with launch vehicles or spacecraft