Design Engineer, Fluid Systems
We’re on a mission to improve life on Earth from space.
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The valves team designs, tests, and continuously improves upon valves across the rocket system, providing necessary functionality and performance for each vehicle stage to deliver customer payloads into orbit. The team is comprised of talented engineers and technicians collaboratively working through the challenges of liquid propellant engine development and manufacturing.
All forms of hardware development, qualification and acceptance tests are conducted within our Alameda facility.
As a Mechanical Engineer within valves and propulsion, you will have a system-level understanding of how a rocket system operates, and maintain efficient packaging as hardware iterations are phased in. Engineering ownership includes the specification, analysis, design, fabrication/procurement, assembly and test of components and subassemblies critical to the engine. The ideal candidate possesses a broad range of engineering aptitude for structural, fluidic, and electromechanical systems.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Design flight hardware components, assemblies, and interfaces. Engineering responsibility from initial design to launch performance.
- Analyze components through hand calculations and FEA to show positive margin on design for flight critical hardware.
- Validate hardware through rigorous qualification and acceptance tests.
- Deliver quality results in a fast-paced work environment, while maintaining flexibility with changing priorities.
- Document the progression of hardware development through design reviews, technical drawings, and work instructions.
- Collaborate across teams to deliver a seamlessly integrated launch vehicle.
Why We Value You
- You have 2+ years of mechanical / propulsion design experience
- You are proficient with CAD and PLM software tools, particularly with large, shared assemblies
- You have extensive knowledge in material applications and manufacturing processes (machining, welding, brazing, metal forming, and heat treating)
- You effectively convey design intent through proper engineering drawings and GD&T
- You are competent in FEA of mechanical systems with applied thermal and pressure loads
- You design hardware with weight, cost, and manufacturability in mind
- You have initiative to execute on open-ended problems and deliver quality results
- You clearly communicate technical reasoning and manage hardware interfaces collaboratively between teams
- Experience with cryogenic and pressurized systems
- Experience with designing complex, integrated hardware systems
- Critical thinking applied to root cause investigation and corrective actions
- Familiarity with dimensional inspection equipment
- You have coordinated multi-disciplinary projects across an organization
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, self-driven entrepreneurial workplace where you get your hands dirty working directly with hardware
$100,000 – $130,000 a year
The stated compensation range reflects only the targeted base salary range in the San Francisco Bay Area and excludes additional earnings such as bonus, equity, and benefits. If your salary requirements fall outside of the range, we still encourage you to apply.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.