We’re on a mission to improve life on Earth from space.
Astra’s mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we’ll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you’re excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.
As a Senior FPGA Engineer you will join the team that develops the flight hardware and software for an orbital launch vehicle in a cross-functional, collaborative, blame-free development environment. You will:
- Develop requirements, write RTL code, integrate, test and release FPGA based solutions to satisfy hard real-time requirements and constraints in non-trivial mission-critical systems.
- Lead the FPGA modules integration from various sources, design new RTL code, and deliver FPGA releases post simulation validation and verification, timing closure and lab test.
- Work with internal and external vendors to coordinate delivery of RTL code for integration and test.
- Work with systems architects, hardware and embedded software design teams to bring up and test systems combining FPGA, firmware, software, RF, and network functionality.
- Work with digital signal processing, digital communications, RF, and software system team members to specify, implement and validate various functional blocks in FPGA.
- Hands on involvement in hardware bring-up, debugging, validation and verification for FPGA evaluation and custom boards.
- Ownership and configuration management of FPGA hardware and RTL code.
- Familiarity with Intel and Xilinx FPGA families and performing trade studies for various FPGA based solutions.
- Experience with modern ASIC and FPGA design, development, simulation, optimization and verification tools.
- Experience with FPGA test strategies/plans and validation/verification test-bench development and maintenance.
- Familiarity with C/C++, python or equivalent.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration CI and Continuous Delivery CD practices and automating FPGA delivery to end systems
- Familiarity with Software Defined Radio architecture and implementation.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Develop: create requirements, design new systems, implement, verify, and see your code fly
- Test: build out test automation across all environments such as hardware-in-the-loop, engine test cells, and with integrated vehicles
- Partner: work with other teams to define critical interfaces, specify component/system requirements, and contribute to decisions that shape future vehicles
- Fly: support launch from mission control and fulfill flight software responsibilities during the countdown
- Analyze: use ground test and flight data to verify system performance and improve the fidelity of the simulation
- Ownership: end-to-end responsibility for large aspects of the flight software system
Why We Value You
- You have a degree in engineering, computer science or equivalent and 5+ years of experience writing and testing reliable and verifiable RTL code in Verilog or VHDL for real hardware
- You have broad range of experience throughout the RTL code design, development, validation and maintenance, from writing high level requirements, RTL code, testbench development, validation and verification to debugging hardware in the lab
- You possess strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate ideas, give technical feedback, and mentor team members
- You’re excited to work in a fast-paced, self-driven, iterative startup environment, and to build the systems that enable daily launches to space