We are Astra. Our mission is to launch a new generation of services to connect and improve life on earth. We are a small, highly ambitious team with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge.
We are a small, highly entrepreneurial team of rocket engineers with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge, but not without a sense of humor along the way. We believe that space is the ultimate high ground, and we are on a mission to provide routine access to earth orbit for the entrepreneurs and enterprises that are launching a new generation of services powered by small satellites that will connect, observe, and influence our planet. Building on over a decade of technology development in rocket propulsion, structures, and avionics, we are applying a fast-paced, hardware-focused, agile approach to space launch.
Astra leads from the front. We provide strategic and operational leadership to the company by setting OKRs, developing strategy, and ensuring the strategy is executed effectively. Additionally, we also provide the organizational and cultural DNA for the company. Our team functions as a collective leadership body that serves as the model that teams throughout the organization will follow. People are the heart of our success and leading our people is critical to achieving our mission.
As our VP of Software Engineering you will be responsible for leading the Software Engineering Discipline at Astra. You will be responsible for managing and setting the direction for your organization.You will truly enjoy what you do, be flexible and communicative. This role will report to the CEO and engage in extensive cross-functional interaction to lead Software engineering while keeping up with the pace of Astra. This is you!
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Lead: teams that design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug software across the rocket life cycle at Astra.
- Collaborate: with your end users – our development engineering teams that use our software systems to identify gaps between software, design, and manufacturing.
- Design: the vision for our growing software organization by developing a world class software engineering culture and cultivating a team of software leaders.
- Execute: the flawless implementation of software that powers our entire business.
- Listen: facilitate technical trades and advise Enterprise and Development teams on solutions
- You have 10+ years of experience leading high-performing software engineering teams
- You have aerospace experiences
- You are a highly organized team player with excellent technical written and verbal communication skills
- You have a demonstrated track record of strong technical judgement and bias for action
- You have demonstrated ability to operate with cohesive and effective teams and drive decision making within those teams
- You articulate a concise plan with deliverables, timelines and a formal tracking process
- You possess strong analytical skills with the ability to create, measure, and scale the right workflow across teams
- You are a super high energy individual with excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- You are self-motivated, resilient and assertive with a high willingness to learn
- You are a good sounding board for others, with low ego
ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
© Astra Space Inc. All rights reserved, Astra is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.