Astro Digital designs, builds, and operates a diverse range of small satellite systems supporting space-based turnkey missions for several business applications, including earth observation, communications, in-orbit demonstrations, risk reduction, science, and exploration. Astro Digital is headquartered in Santa Clara, California with infrastructure around the globe.
The Ground Software Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of the software used for Astro Digital satellite operations. The Ground Software Engineer works with the Satellite Operations team to build reliable command and telemetry interfaces, automation, and backend software to support on-orbit satellite operations. The ideal candidate is a hands-on problem solver and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Build high-performing command interfaces for mission-critical operations.
- Build up telemetry analysis tools for quick spacecraft anomaly resolution and state of health assessment.
- Develop satellite operations tools and automation to perform a variety of on-orbit and ground procedures.
- Build efficient and reliable backend software to manage command and telemetry pathways.
- Collaborate with the team to define ground software requirements and plan system architecture.
- BS in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Proficient in Python programming.
- Experience writing and architecting object-oriented software.
- Experience using a version control repository.
- Comfortable with command-line environments (Linux).
- Ability to work independently.
- Good written and verbal communications skills, especially during time-critical situations.
- Direct experience working with CubeSat systems and/or satellite operations.
- Familiarity in SQL and experience working with a Postgres database.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 22 CFR §120.15 and 8 U.S.C. §1324b(a)(3) is required.