Astro Digital designs, builds, and operates a diverse range of small satellite systems supporting space-based turnkey missions for several business applications, including earth observation, communications, in-orbit demonstrations, risk reduction opportunities, in addition to various science and exploration applications. Astro Digital is headquartered in Santa Clara, California with infrastructure around the globe.
Astro Digital designs, builds, and operates a diverse range of small satellite systems supporting space-based turnkey missions for several business applications, including earth observation, communications, in-orbit demonstrations, risk reduction, science, and exploration. Astro Digital is headquartered in Santa Clara, California with infrastructure around the globe.
The Satellite Operations Engineer is responsible for the planning, preparation, and execution of on-orbit Astro Digital satellite operations. The Satellite Operations Engineer works with the team to design, build, test, and execute on-orbit procedures for the satellite commissioning and nominal operations phases. This engineer analyzes satellite telemetry, evaluates and resolves spacecraft system anomalies, and develops new and improved Satellite Operations software tools. The ideal candidate is a hands-on problem solver and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute pass plans and operations procedures on-console.
- Generate and maintain up-to-date Satellite Operations documentation, including a flight log for each satellite.
- Design on-orbit pass plans and operations procedures to meet commissioning requirements.
- Test on-orbit pass plans and operations procedures on the flat-sat test beds.
- Analyze satellite telemetry to assess subsystem state of health and operations procedure outcomes.
- System anomaly investigation.
- Use software tools to manage tracking of multiple satellites and keep satellite tracking information up to date.
- Maintain and configure satellite operations workstations and servers.
- Maintain and configure the flat-sat test beds.
- Develop satellite operations tools and automation.
- Collaborate with the wider team to develop the concept of operations (CONOPS) for each mission.
- As required, conduct System Functional Testing on spacecraft in production.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering or related field.
- Experience in a scripting language – Python preferred.
- Comfortable with command-line environments (Linux).
- Fundamental understanding of orbital mechanics and classical mechanics.
- Basic understanding of spacecraft subsystems and a willingness to further this understanding.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good written and verbal communications skills, especially during time-critical situations.
- Direct experience working with CubeSat systems and/or satellite operations.
- Experience developing software automation.
- Experience using a version control repository.