Astro Digital delivers a holistic and seamless solution to develop, deploy, and operate space infrastructure in a time and cost-effective manner.
Astro Digital is a Silicon Valley-based NewSpace startup founded to develop a constellation of multispectral imaging satellites, called Landmapper, to support global resource and agricultural applications including water management, deforestation and precision farming. Along the way, we’ve developed our own cubesats, imaging payloads, ground systems and industry leading communications technologies.
With a majority of the Landmapper development underway, we’ve turned our attention towards leveraging those technologies and experiences into new missions for other customers, in what we call Mission-as-a-Service (MaaS). In the same way cloud computing allows new web app startups to develop, launch and scale their apps quickly and cheaply, we’ve developed a platform of products and services allowing new satellite-based companies to do likewise. Our MaaS offering is ideal for new applications as diverse as IoT, SAR, Earth Imaging, Science and Exploration, Zero Gravity Biology and In-Space Manufacturing.
We have raised over $19M in venture capital, launched 10 satellites, and will be well into the execution of our first fiveMaaS contracts. Astro Digital is a dynamic team making it easier than ever to develop and launch new commercial space businesses and we’d love for you to join us.
As Spacecraft Test Engineer your primary role will be to support testing and verification of satellite hardware and systems. Specifically, this role includes carrying out, revising, and writing test plans and procedures; presenting results and feedback to designers and program management; and designing new hardware and software to support testing and generally improving the testing and verification function of the company.
You will also be expected to interpret overall mission objectives, how system configurations coalesce, and how satellites perform in orbit. You will interact daily with the Design and Satellite Operation teams. Complementing this broad overview, you will build familiarity with some of the finest details of hardware and software implementation. As part of the Spacecraft Test team, you will join the iterative design and production processes, applying your experience to assure mission success.
Grasp of both general and detailed information, inquisitiveness, and attention to detail are essential qualities of a person in this role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Write and execute test plans for spacecraft components at all levels of integration, including fully assembled Flight Models
- Analyze and present feedback on both the process and results to larger teams
- Flow observations to the business development and engineering teams to support proposal work and inform future designs
- Ensure test plans and procedures meet system requirements and evolving mission characteristics
- Develop and operate test automation hardware and software
- Troubleshoot anomalous test results and identify defects in hardware and software.
- Apply diligence to support production efficiency, mission objectives, and above all, hardware and personnel safety
Desired Skills and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in engineering (aerospace, mechanical, electrical, software), math, physics, or other related technical fields
- ≥ 2 years experience in testing, test engineering, or technical aspects of product design or production
- Comfortable reading and following detailed procedures
- Proficiency with lab electrical diagnostic and measurement tools (multimeters, scopes, sources)
- Experience in aerospace, mass production, or test automation is additionally valuable
- Ability to read electrical schematics
- Experience in electrical design, microcontroller operations, embedded systems a plus
- Skilled writing object oriented software such as Python or C++
- Familiarity with Linux operating system
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to define and solve problems independently, tempered with experience to know when to seek input
- Experience with environmental testing
- Interest in collaborating with a first-rate, friendly team