Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is seeking a Systems Engineer to support the research and development of advanced robotics solutions for space, creating new spacecraft, products, and technology that make this possible. This position will be responsible for managing systems engineering for projects that enable Astrobotic’s autonomous technologies, including precision landing and hazard detection on the Moon. The role will address a broad range of problems spanning robotics, sensors, electronics, software, and systems engineering. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to contribute to projects with significant impact on the future of space and robotics.
The R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date, and has seven current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing. Applicants with a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are required.
- Lead technical systems development for advanced robotics hardware and software solutions for space through their entire development life cycle
- Derive and manage system requirements, interface definitions, system margin philosophies, configuration management systems, V&V procedures, qualification plans, integration plans, failure modes and effects analyses, and technical risk management and mitigation plans
- Work side-by-side with engineering team and key customers to design, develop, and build systems that meet mission objectives and top-level requirements
- Perform conceptual, preliminary, and detailed system design and configuration trade studies
- Support system integration and testing
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reporting
- Lead technical presentations and/or demonstrations during concept development and engineering development phases
- Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to resolve technical risks and challenges
- Assist with technical proposals for mission and technology development opportunities
- Communicate with partners and customers to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to the system and/or customer requirements
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience in multiple of the following areas: structure/thermal design and analysis, electronics systems, power systems, communication systems, software engineering and development, systems engineering, product development, trajectory analysis, risk management, and system configuration management
- Comfortable with system changes through a program lifecycle and capable of managing and tracking system interfaces and requirements
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum 2 years of relevant systems engineering experience in position with similar responsibilities mentioned above
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- S.+3 years Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or a related field
- S. person status
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing space systems, from feasibility studies through flight and mission operations
- Experience with system design, architectures, concepts of operation, software, sensors, and advanced autonomy for space robotics applications
- Knowledgeable about system manufacturing and V&V plans for space systems
- Experience in developing space systems for a unmanned spacecraft or similar
- Mission experience for spacecraft systems or similar
- Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small mission, lean team environment
- Knowledgeable about probability and/or statistics for assessing system reliability
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.