Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to lead the development of high-performance, high-reliability wire harness systems for a variety of high profile missions including lunar landers. You will be responsible for interconnect design, testing and integrating spacecraft harnesses, maturing current design, and assessing risk and reliability.
Your main responsibilities:
- Ensure compatibility of all harness components within subsystems, between subsystems and with payload systems.
- Implement the full systems engineering development cycle, and regularly report to the Cable and Harness Lead on progress.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Designing, developing, testing and integrating wire harnesses for complex systems
- Applying full life-cycle systems management, including requirements development and traceability
- Applying industry aerospace standards to the design of electrical harnesses for power distribution, Communication, RF, and high-speed data signal
- Defining the application of EMI/RFI harness shielding and knowledge of EMI best practices
- Executing parts standardization with connectors, backshells, shielding and associated parts
- Experience with 2D and 3D wire harnessing software (RapidHarness, Zuken, AutoCAD Electrical, Solidworks Electrical, etc.)
- Connector selection, including Mil-Spec and high-reliability interconnect types accounting for environmental condition extremes
- Working effectively with a team of engineers to deliver high quality products
- Developing internal and external technical reports and delivering formal presentations
- Minimum 2 – 5 years of experience in wire harness and cabling
- A.A. or B.S. or related experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience developing subcontractor specifications, tooling, testing requirements, SOWs, and managing subcontractor performance
- Knowledge of MIL-STD-451, NASA-STD-8739.4 or relevant
- Knowledge of space environmental tests
- B.S. Electrical Engineering
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.