Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to design, develop, verify and deploy software code for the ourlunar landers. You will be responsible for developing unique drivers for flight hardware components, maturing current design, assessing risk and reliability, and working with other subsystem leads to maintain hardware/software compatibility. You will integrate and test with ground and flight systems hardware-in-the-loop environments, write and present technical reports, and implement the full systems engineering development cycle, regularly reporting to the Mission Software Lead on progress.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience (or 2 years with a Master’s degree) in development of software drivers
- Programming in C, C++, and Python (or similar scripting languages)
- Developing, testing and debugging embedded software
- Performing software integration and testing, including writing and running unit test code
- Real time deterministic systems in an embedded environment
- Using multiple operating systems and development environments including Windows and Linux
- Full software development life-cycle for complex systems
- Working with configuration management tools
- Working within an agile development framework
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledgeable in Failure Detection and Isolation Recovery or fault-tolerant designs
- Experience with communication or I/O protocols, such as CAN bus, RS-232 / RS-422, TCP/IP, or any spacecraft communication protocols
- Experience working in the Git environment
- Experience developing hardware and systems for space applications
- Experience developing embedded software and instrumentation for spacecraft systems
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.