Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
Astrobotic is going to the Moon and will rely on state-of-the-art technologies to do so. Our space robotics research and development team is seeking an Embedded Software Engineer with FPGA experience to join our effort to develop these technologies and push the boundaries of what is possible in space.
This position will be responsible for development and testing of Astrobotic’s navigation solution for autonomous precision landing and hazard detection. Astrobotic seeks to deliver a hardware and software solution that will enable spacecraft to land safely and precisely at any destination on mapped planetary surfaces, enabling a broad range of high-impact science and commercial missions.
Applicants should have a strong knowledge of embedded software and FPGA development and VHDL/Verilog with specific knowledge of one or more related topics including: software engineering, real-time operating systems, safety-critical systems, and embedded vision.
Our R&D team is highly collaborative and each member has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The team has received more than 30 NASA contracts to date, and has current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
Must be a U.S. person (citizen or permanent resident). Applicants with a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are required.
- Developing FPGA solutions to accelerate camera and LiDAR processing
- Developing embedded software for visual state estimation
- Analyzing FPGA and embedded system performance, correctness, and fault susceptibility
- Interacting with avionics architects and engineers to design robust computing solutions
- Working closely with partners including NASA experts and commercial clients
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
- Experience with FPGA development and developer tools
- Experience with Verilog and VHDL
- Strong background in C in embedded environments and version control software
- Experience with embedded software design, implementation, and debugging
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- Proficiency with MS Office tools
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Robotics, or a related field
- U.S. person status
- Experience with a real-time operating systems
- Experience with safety-critical embedded system implementation and testing, requirements generation, and software verification and validation
- Experience with driver development for sensors such as cameras and inertial measurement units
- Experience with FPGA signal processing or FPGA computer vision
- Familiarity with Xilinx FPGAs, SoCs, and SOMs, and related simulation tools
- Experience with low-level interfaces such as LVDS, SpaceWire, Camera Link, RS-422
- Experience with schematic layout and PCB design for embedded systems (Altium preferred)
- Experience with software development for spacecraft
- Experience with fundamental robotics mathematics and algorithms
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.