Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals.
Astrobotic’s Planetary Mobility Department is seeking a flight software engineer to advance our rover development effort and expand our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions in space. This candidate will lead the software development of several rovers currently in development at Astrobotic, one of which will fly to the Moon in 2021. You will be responsible for designing, developing, verifying, and deploying software code across multiple rover product lines; developing unique drivers for flight hardware components; maturing the current design; assessing risk and reliability, and working with other subsystem leads to maintain hardware/software compatibility; integrating and testing with ground and flight systems hardware-in-the-loop environments; writing and presenting technical reports, implementing the full software engineering development cycle, and regularly reporting to the Avionics and Software Lead Engineer.
The Planetary Mobility Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We highly value teamwork. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. Astrobotic has received 30+ NASA contracts to date in areas such as mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, lunar cave exploration, lunar mining, remote non-geometric terrain sensing, planetary drones, autonomous precision landing, and high-performance computing.
EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING:
- Full life-cycle development of software for complex systems
- Leading the development of spacecraft flight software systems, including embedded software development, testing and debugging
- Working within an agile development framework
- Performing software integration and testing, including writing and running unit test code
- Programming in C, C++, bash scripting and Python
- Developing drivers for embedded industrial interfaces (RS-422, CAN, SPI, I2C, UDP, TCP)
- Linux kernel development
- Real time operating systems in an embedded environment
- 5-8 years of experience in development of embedded software
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Leading small technical teams or serving as a Principal Investigator
- Knowledgeable of Failure Detection and Isolation Recovery
- Experience working in the Git environment
- Experience developing hardware and systems for space applications
- Experience developing embedded software and instrumentation for spacecraft systems
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.