Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
Astrobotic is going to the Moon and will rely on state-of-the-art technologies to do so. Our space robotics research and development team is seeking a Software Engineer with a graphics and simulation focus to join our effort to develop these technologies and push the boundaries of what is possible in space.
This position will be responsible for developing core infrastructure and simulation tools that enable Astrobotic’s autonomous technologies, including precision landing and hazard detection on the Moon. These tools’ core functions include analyzing and modeling planetary surfaces using orbital imagery and topographic data, quantifying system performance and robustness, and simulating mission scenarios that allow research and innovation into some of the most challenging environments for robotics.
Applicants should have a general knowledge of robotics with specific knowledge of one or more related topics including: software engineering, physically-based rendering, graphics and GPU programming, LiDAR processing, or computer vision.
Our R&D team is highly collaborative and each member has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The team has received more than 30 NASA contracts to date, and has current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
Must be a U.S. person (citizen or permanent resident). Applicants with a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are required.
- Developing high fidelity software simulations for computer vision and space robotics applications
- Creating improved terrain, reflectance, and lighting models from remote sensing data products for autonomous planetary navigation
- Working closely with NASA experts, university groups, and commercial clients
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
- Experience with C++, Python, and version control software
- Experience with GPU programming, OpenGL, CUDA, Vulkan, ray tracing, and/or physically-based rendering
- Experience with software design, implementation, testing, and performance tuning
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Robotics, or a related field
- U.S. person status
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS), map projections, and digital elevation models
- Experience with computer vision related areas such as stereophotogrammetry, photoclinometry,and shape from shading
- Experience with structure from motion, visual SLAM, nonlinear optimization, or sensor fusion
- Experience with robotics simulation environments, 3D game engines
- Experience with software unit testing
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.