Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals.
Astrobotic is seeking a Lead Systems Engineer to manage and lead the research and development of advanced robotics solutions for space, creating new spacecraft, products, and technology that make this possible. Our R&D team is responsible for new product development, technical proposal responses, and enabling research and development. This role will address a broad range of problems spanning mechanical, mechatronics/robotics, electrical, software, and systems engineering in addition to supporting business development efforts. Work can be tailored depending on the experience and interests of the candidate. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to play a role on projects with significant impact on the future of space and robotics.
Our R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date and has current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
- Lead technical systems development for advanced robotics solutions for space
- Develop proposals and support business development efforts
- Derive and manage system requirements, system margin philosophies, configuration management systems, V&V procedures, qualification plans, integration plans, and technical risk management and mitigation plans
- Provide technical guidance and experience to the development team
- Work side-by-side with engineering team and key customers to design, develop, and build systems that meet mission objectives and top-level requirements
- Assist with technical proposals for mission and technology development opportunities
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reporting
- Lead technical presentations and/or demonstrations during concept development and engineering development phases
- Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to resolve technical risks and challenges
- Communicate with partners and customers to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to the system and/or customer requirements
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in multiple of the following areas: structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, propulsion systems, communication systems, flight software, mission management, systems engineering, S&MA, trajectory analysis, launch vehicle constraints, risk management, and system configuration management
- Experience developing space systems, from feasibility studies through flight and mission operations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience leading developing proposals
- BS degree in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or other related fields
- Minimum 5 years of relevant space systems experience
- Experience with system design, architectures, concepts of operation, software, sensors, and advanced autonomy for space robotics applications
- Knowledgeable of system manufacturing and V&V plans for space systems
- Experience in developing space systems for a unmanned spacecraft or similar
- Mission experience for spacecraft systems or similar
- Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small mission, lean team environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.