Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to design, analyze and test mechanisms such as deployable panels, telescoping tubes, landing systems and folding ramps for our lunar landers.
- You will be responsible for maturing the design of mechanical or electro/mechanical systems.
- These systems may be used to deploy solar panels or deploying payloads to the lunar surface.
- Design, prototype, and test functionality of the systems.
- Coordinate between technical partners, vendors, and other subsystem leads to assess design progress, schedule, and risks.
- Write and present technical reports.
- Implement the full systems engineering development cycle, and regularly report to the Mechanical Systems Manager on progress.
- Experience with various mechanism types (springs, cams, linkages, bearings, etc.)
- Hands-on project experience with developing complex mechanical systems
- CAD experience (SolidWorks & PDM preferred)
- Developing test plans and procedures to verify performance
- Working with machine shops, suppliers and vendors
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
- B.S. Mechanical, Robotics or Aerospace Engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience developing hardware and systems for aircraft, spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Proficiency with finite element analysis (FEA) including pre/post processing, scripting and solvers (ANSYS preferred)
- Familiar with multi-body dynamic analysis such as MSC Adams
- 5 years of experience in development of mechanical systems for spaceflight applications
- M.S. Mechanical, Robotics or Aerospace Engineering
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample and references.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.