Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world.
The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Founded in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 6 countries. In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to manage and lead the development of the company’s next major lunar mission. This highly autonomous position will lead the engineering team through design, build, test and mission operations. This position serves on the leadership team of the company and, as a result, has a substantial influence in the company strategic planning.
- Full accountability for program life cycle planning and execution
- Leading matrixed engineering teams
- Development and management of work breakdown structure, program budget, integrated master schedule, and program risk posture
- Coordination of partner engineering support with the mission team
- Establishment and management of key technical and supplier relationships
- Planning, preparation, delivery, and closeout of program milestone reviews
- Preparation and delivery of technical documentation and reporting
- Negotiation of program requirements and objectives with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring program compliance with licensing and regulatory requirements
- Coordinating research and development projects with the engineering team in support of future mission development
- Leading the development of technical proposals for mission opportunities
- Leading technical teams in the development of new technical products and services
- Coordinating with Business Development on new business opportunities
- B.S. in Engineering or related technical field plus 10 years of relevant space mission experience (at least 5 years in a leadership role). Relevant advanced degree will be considered in lieu of equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading spaceflight projects consisting of 10+ employees, including the development and management of project budgets, schedules, risks, and technical performance objectives
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas of spaceflight systems development: structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics, power systems, propulsion, flight software, space robotics, mission services, systems engineering, mission operations, integration, or mission management
- Demonstrated experience operating in an AS9100 or ISO9000 environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn on the fly, work autonomously, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience leading life cycle development of human-rated or mission critical spaceflight systems or subsystems
- Program management experience in support of government customers
- Demonstrated direct, hands-on experience with space system integration and testing, including cleanroom operations
- Demonstrated experience working in an agile environment, using organizational tools such as Confluence and Jira
- Experience with requirements management tools such as DOORs, ReqView or JAMA
- Demonstrated experience developing process plans in support of development, manufacturing, or operations
- Eligibility to obtain a U.S. security clearance is preferred but not required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the
U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.