Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s line of lunar landers and rovers deliver payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries. In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024.
Astrobotic was selected to develop and lead a new commercial payload service onboard the Dynetics human lunar lander. Dynetics was recently announced as one of three awardees by NASA to develop a new commercial lunar lander for NASA’s Artemis Program. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic wants you to work at the forefront as the technical liaison to our customers flying lunar rovers, satellites, technical demonstrations, scientific instruments, and commemorative items to the Moon.
- You will correspond regularly with the international group of individuals, organizations, academic institutions, and government agencies developing and operating these payloads as you work to ensure their thorough understanding of our mission capabilities and system interfaces, track potential issues, follow technical progress, and monitor programmatic schedules.
- You are directly responsible for creating an exceptional user experience as you guide the payload from initial kick-off activities through various design cycles to acceptance and integration as well as mission operations.
- You will join the Astrobotic Payload Management Team, reporting directly to the Payload Management Lead, and work closely with the Business Development department.
- Develop and maintain a high-level understanding of multiple complex integrated systems as they relate to spacecraft mission management
- Ensure thorough knowledge of standard payload services, interfaces, operations, procedures, and reference documentation
- Serve as a representative of the platform payload interfaces and mission payload manifest in support of program management
- Work with experienced science and engineering teams to understand mission objectives, operational requirements, technical designs, system interfaces, and program schedules
- Provide guidance to customers through to the completion of payload integration activities
- Negotiate customer requirements and interfaces
- Schedule payload operations and manage payload budget allocations within mission constraints in support of the systems engineering team, use this information to assess the compatibility of potential payloads with the existing payload manifest
- Manage technical documentation such as interface control documents, payload operations plans, and payload integration processing plans
- Adhere to established quality management system processes, working closely with quality assurance and quality inspectors, and implement risk management processes
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel to attend milestone reviews or facilitate preliminary interface compatibility testing
- B.S. in Engineering
- Three or more years of directly applicable work experience
- Experience in a front-facing technical role, interfacing with customers, vendors, and/or government agencies such as NASA or the DoD
- Understanding of the development process for space flight hardware and software systems
- Direct experience in roles related to mission integration or mission management on a spacecraft or launch vehicle platform
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organization, creative problem-solving, and teamwork skills
- Ability to learn on the fly, work autonomously, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Past technical experience working on one or more spacecraft systems such as structures, thermal, power, communication, or software
- Experience with space system integration and testing, including cleanroom operations
- Experience in project engineering or project management
- Experience working in an agile environment, using organizational tools such as Confluence and Jira
- Experience with requirements management software a plus
- Experience in CAD software such as SolidWorks
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the
U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.