Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to design and development of R/F Communications systems for Astrobotic’s lunar lander product lines. You will be responsible for establishing requirements for the RF communications subsystem, maturing current design, analyzing system performance, assessing risk and reliability, and working with other subsystem leads to maintain system compatibility.
Your main responsibilities:
- Develop all telecommunications components, from ground station selection and operations, RF testing and integration, and payload communications.
- Coordinate between technical partners, vendors, and the subsystem lead to assess design progress, schedule, and risks.
- Provide mission operations support, and write and present technical reports.
- Implement the full systems engineering development cycle, and regularly report to the R/F Communications Lead.
EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING:
- Developing spacecraft RF Comms systems through design, development, testing, verification and flight operations
- Applying full life-cycle systems development, including requirements development and traceability
- Performing link budget analysis
- RF testing, ground station compatibility and integration testing
- Developing internal and external technical reports and delivering formal presentations
- Prototype languages such as Matlab/Octave
- Orbit determination tools like ODTK or STK
- Minimum 8 years of experience in spacecraft comms systems development
- B.S. in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledgeable of Range Safety and Ground Safety compliance
- Knowledge of space environmental tests
- M.S. in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.