Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Software Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
The R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date, and has seven current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
Must be a U.S. person (citizen or permanent resident with green card). Applicants with strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are preferred.
- Software design and development of computer vision systems and robotic state estimation
- Full software life cycle testing, verification and validation including field testing and performance assessment of robotic software
- Leading design and code reviews, mentoring junior software engineers
- Working closely with NASA experts, university groups, and commercial clients
- Contributing to novel research and research proposals
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
- Strong experience with software design, object-oriented programming, and implementation in C++ (5+ years) and Python in a Linux environment
- Exposure to robotics applications, e.g., computer vision, SLAM, LiDAR processing, nonlinear optimization, control systems, or state estimation
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- B.S.+3 years, M.S.+1 years, or Ph.D.in Computer Science, Robotics, or a related field
- U.S. person status
- Experience with software configuration management and build systems
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing, embedded development, and board support packages
- Experience with ROS, GTSAM, OpenCV, or PCL
- Experience with Kalman filtering and state estimation with factor graphs or sensor processing for IMUs, cameras, or LiDAR
- Experience with unmanned aerial systems
- Experience with robotics simulation environments
- Experience with writing research and/or commercial proposals
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.