Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Systems Engineer to contribute to the development of the company’s next lunar lander. This position will participate in the system engineering effort for the lander, spanning the entire program life cycle from mission formulation through mission operations. This position reports to the Lead Systems Engineer.
- Contribute to lander systems engineering activities through the entire development life cycle, including the development of system, launch vehicle, and ground control requirements, and interface definition; performing conceptual, preliminary, and detailed system design, trade studies, and lander configuration management activities; development of V&V procedures, technical risk management, and mitigation plans; and support of system integration and test and mission operations
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reporting
- Lead technical presentations and/or demonstrations of the lunar lander during concept development and engineering development phases
- Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to the lunar lander
- Communicate with partners and customers to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to the lunar lander and/or customer requirements
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing space systems, from mission formulation, requirements flow-down through integration and test and mission operations
- Demonstrated experience in multiple of the following areas: structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, propulsion system, communication systems, flight software, mission management, systems engineering, fault management, S&MA, trajectory analysis, launch vehicle constraints, risk management, and system configuration management
- Experience with managing system budgets
- Strong understanding of the space and launch vehicle mission environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Self-confident and energetic attitude towards problem-solving challenges
- Comfortable with change in the system through the lifecycle of the program with the capability of managing and tracking system interfaces and requirements
- BS degree in Engineering, Systems Engineering or other related fields.
- Minimum 2 years in relevant engineering position with similar responsibilities mentioned above
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledgeable of system manufacturing and V&V plan for space systems
- Knowledgeable of Range Safety compliance
- Experience in developing space systems for unmanned spacecraft or similar
- Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small mission, lean team environment
- Knowledgeable of probability and/or statistics for assessing system reliability
- Minimum 5 years of relevant space mission experience
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.