Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc., a space robotics company, is seeking an Electrical Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for developing computational hardware that enable Astrobotic’s autonomous technologies, including precision landing and hazard detection on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong electronics design and development background along with specific knowledge of one or more avionics-related topics including: processor selection, board design, sensors, signal processing, embedded software development, FPGA development, systems engineering, or electronics testing.
The R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date, and has seven current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing. Applicants with a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are required.
- Design and integrate electronics hardware, including computing, signal conditioning, sensing and control electronics, filtering, data acquisition, and common digital interfaces
- Determine and develop approach to satisfy functional, reliability, and environmental requirements
- Research and select components from vendors that meet requirements
- Develop, maintain, and release schematics, board designs, and systems engineering documentation and data
- Support electrical integration, testing, and validation efforts of developed hardware
- Analyze functional (power, thermal analysis, FMEA) and physical design (PCB layout, design for EMC) to assure development of complete integrated design
- Document processes, specifications, and procedures to support designs for customers and internal design reviews
- Provide technical support to explore and champion new technologies
- Perform trade studies for the electrical and avionics systems
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing compute solutions for robotics, sensing, or similar applications
- Experience designing complex board layouts (10+ layers, high-speed digital signals)
- Proficient with general purpose test equipment (DMM, oscilloscope, power supplies, etc.)
- Proficient with Altium and with circuit simulation and mixed analog/digital circuits
- Capable of programming and debugging embedded systems, including microcontrollers, FPGAs, DSPs, or similar
- Rapid prototype development skills
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing, developing, and testing hardware in medical, robotics, transportation, critical infrastructure, or aerospace industries
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- B.S.+5 years Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- U.S. person status
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing electronics hardware for aerospace and defense applications
- Experience developing high reliability or high throughput systems
- Experience developing electronics for computer vision, LiDAR, or other advanced sensing applications
- Experience designing around LVDS, RS-422, CameraLink, CAN bus, and Ethernet interfaces
- Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small mission, lean team environment
- Experience with real-time operating systems, Linux, embedded C/C++, FPGAs, and version control software
- Experience developing test software for electronics hardware
- Experience decomposing requirements
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.