Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic’s Planetary Mobility Department is seeking an embedded software engineer to advance our rover development effort and expand our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions in space. The Planetary Mobility Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We highly value teamwork. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. Astrobotic has received 30+ NASA contracts to date in areas such as mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, lunar cave exploration, lunar mining, remote non-geometric terrain sensing, planetary drones, autonomous precision landing, and high-performance computing.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Development, testing and integration of the rover embedded software systems
- Maintain and release software components.
- Assemble technical documentation for internal design reviews.
- Lead the software verification and validation effort
- Document processes, specifications, and procedures to support the software implementation.
- Determine and develop an approach to solutions to satisfy design requirements.
- Provide technical support to explore and champion new technologies.
- 5 years of experience designing, developing, and testing software in the industrial, preferably robotics, aviation or aerospace industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences, Electrical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited college or equivalent experience.
- Proficient with C/C++.
- Proficient with Linux and kernel development.
- Expertise in microcontroller programming MSP430 and ARM-based System-on-Chips.
- Expertise with embedded communication interfaces (CAN, SPI, I2C, TCP/IP).
- Must be able to effectively communicate with peers, internal customers and management.
- Highly interpersonal skill set and demonstrated behavior of thriving in a strong cross-functional team environment.
- Familiarity with aerospace/defense engineering design.
- Experience with HDL programming, Xilinx processor programming.
- Experience with yocto.
- Experience in SLAM and robotic mobile platforms.
- Experience in motor control, camera interfacing and inertial measurement unit.
- Experience with general purpose test equipment (DMM, oscilloscope, power supplies, etc.).
- Experience developing test software.
- Experience decomposing software requirements.
- Experience in an Agile work environment.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.