Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to help in the development of advanced solutions for space, creating new spacecraft, rovers, products, and technology that make this possible. Our R&D team is responsible for new product development, technical proposal responses, and enabling research and development. This role will address a broad range of problems spanning mechanical and mechatronics/robotics, in addition to supporting business development efforts. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to play a role on projects with significant impact on the future of space and robotics.
Our R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date and has current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
- Design and analyze structures and mechanical and electro-mechanical systems to meet all system requirements and mission environments
- Create and rapidly iterate CAD models of components, subassemblies, and integrated system
- Devise creative solutions to challenging design problems
- Write and present technical data to support business development activities
- Coordinate between technical partners, vendors, and other subsystems
Required Skills and Experience:
- CAD and lifecycle management tools (SolidWorks & PDM preferred)
- Mechanical design principles including geometric design and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Design for manufacturing (DFM) and assembly (DFA) of machined, forged, and sheet metal components
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing primary structure and mechanical systems for aircraft, rotorcraft, spacecraft, or launch vehicles
- Experience with low volume production processes and rapid prototyping
- Knowledge of finite element analysis (ANSYS preferred)
- Experience with composite laminate design and analysis
- Demonstrated experience designing and analyzing components for space environments
- Experience working in cross-disciplinary teams and interfacing with business development
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.