Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to design, develop, test and deploy software for the communication subsystem and the flight subsystems on the Peregrine and Griffin lunar landers, which were selected by NASA to return America to the Moon and to lead the way for exploration on the south pole of the Moon.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WOULD INCLUDE:
- Leading the software design and development effort for the spacecraft communication subsystem
- Collaborate with other teams on the communication subsystem hardware and software design
- Integrate the communication hardware and software components for end-to-end datapath testing
- Test, analyze and benchmark the various components of the communication subsystem
- Develop software test tools to aid in the testing and evaluation of the communication subsystem
- Oversee the deployment of communication subsystem software throughout the product lifecycle
- Assist with the development of software components and tests for other flight subsystems
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience (or 2 years with a Master’s degree) in development of communication or networking software
- Minimum 2 years of experience with communication protocols, such as IP, TCP, UDP
- Programming in C, C++, and Python (or similar scripting languages)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience with traffic engineering and/or Quality-of-Service (QoS) mechanisms, including packet scheduling and/or queueing discipline algorithms or implementations (e.g. DWRR, HTB)
- Experience with real-time embedded system development
- Experience performing software integration and testing, including testing communication interfaces
- Experience working in the Git or similar configuration management tools
- Experience working within an agile development framework
- Familiarity with spacecraft communication protocols (e.g. CCSDS) is a plus
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.