A space robotics company making space accessible to the world
Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Mission Planning Engineer to join our Planetary Landers Team. Astrobotic wants you to help plan and coordinate operations for our first mission with the Griffin Lunar Lander, which will be carrying the NASA VIPER Rover payload to the lunar surface.
- Working with the Astrobotic Project Management team, Systems Engineering, and NASA representatives to plan the detailed ConOps (Concept of Operations) around our Griffin/VIPER lunar mission
- Manage the interface with satellite ground station providers for the Griffin mission, including plans for ground station end-to-end testing, operations, flight ground communications schedule, and mission development efforts with the ground stations and the Astrobotic spacecraft communications team
- Developing mission procedures for flight, working with various spacecraft subsystems teams
- Conducting simulation and training efforts for the Griffin/VIPER mission with the Astrobotic flight team and the NASA VIPER mission operations team
- B.S. or higher in an Engineering or Space-related technical field (i.e., Aerospace Engineering, Astrodynamics, etc.)
- 4+ years’ experience in the space industry
- Prior experience in the space industry with training, simulation, and/or mission operations role
- Basic understanding of spacecraft subsystems (propulsion, power, thermal, communications, etc.)
- Prior console operator/flight controller experience on spacecraft/satellite missions
- Experience coordinating with satellite ground stations
- Prior experience with nominal and contingency procedure development for space missions
- Prior experience in a mission planning, simulation, or training role